Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Ammo storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/ammo-storage-94215/)

foot2400 07-21-2013 05:26 PM

Ammo storage

I was wondering if storing ammo in a wood crate would be as efficient as a metal ammo can. I'm running out of room and it's hard to get ammo cans where I'm at, so I was think about building a sealed wood crate.

KG7IL 07-21-2013 07:38 PM

Sure, It's good to have a storage problem (aka, more ammo than before is a good thing).

Generally Ammo stored in a house will be just fine. It's not too hot, not to cold, not too wet, and not to dry(usually).

Efficient? It's hard to beat the compact storage efficiency of a well loaded ammo can (or stacks of them :) )

I won't bother addressing in any laws regarding storage in your area. I love the ammo can's, but have a carboard box of many calibers that I keep as handy stock when the family and friends come by to shoot.

hiwall 07-21-2013 11:02 PM

I do not own an ammo can. My ammo is just fine. Some on shelves and some in cabinets.

Axxe55 07-21-2013 11:31 PM

military ammo cans work great because they have a gasketed lid, that seals out any moisture. they work great in just about any environment, and that's why the military uses them.

now for home storage, as long as the humidity is controlled an it's not in a damp and musty basement. wooden boxes should work just fine. many, many years ago ammo was shipped and stored in wooden crates. lots of those crates are prized by collectors now.

austin92 07-21-2013 11:53 PM

There everywhere around here. Have you checked places like rural king, big R, gander mtn, or bass pro? As others have said though, moisture is the enemy here. Keep it dry and it should b fine in a home made box

foot2400 07-22-2013 12:23 AM

Thanks for the input everybody. I feel safe to keep it in the house for now. Rural king has metal cans but they seem cheaply made compared to cabelas cans and they are the same price. Cabelas is about an hour and a half from me. I will just have to tell the wife and kids we r going on a family road trip lol.

Axxe55 07-22-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foot2400 (Post 1311168)
Thanks for the input everybody. I feel safe to keep it in the house for now. Rural king has metal cans but they seem cheaply made compared to cabelas cans and they are the same price. Cabelas is about an hour and a half from me. I will just have to tell the wife and kids we r going on a family road trip lol.

buy them online and have them shipped to your house.

JonM 07-22-2013 01:10 AM

wood is fine if the rounds dont come in direct contact as a lot of lumber still has quite a bit of moisture. use desicant packs

DrFootball 07-22-2013 07:46 AM

Besides a few MTM Ammo Cans & Dry Boxes, We have a 111 Year Old Mineral Water Crate(held 6 1 Gal. bottles) with shelf liners & humidifier Inside for the "shootable" ammo...

I highly endorse MTM's stuff. Just got another delivery from them, this one was bullet boxes. Last one was the Ammo Cans and another Dry Box.

gunnut07 07-22-2013 09:42 AM

I have a room with 2 dehumidifiers in it for my ammo storage. Then again when you have a room full of ammo you need it.