Ammo Storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo Storage

I am currently storing most of my ammo in my garage. I have it locked up in my craftsman tool box inside Gallon size Ziploc bags.

I live in Florida and it can get maybe up to 90 degrees in there during the summer.

Maybe 40 degrees tops in the winter.

Will I be able to store this ammo with no problems? The ammo in question are of the 9mm FMJ kind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

90 degrees to 40 degrees shouldn't be a problem. A steady temperature and a cool dry place is best for storage though. In a garage, there are temperature fluctuations that aren't necessarily a good thing for ammunition.

However, My buddy shoots WWI .303 ammunition in his Enfield and it works fine. I think the key is to just try and avoid drastic temperature changes.

I store my ammunition in the house in a closet, so it remains a fairly consistent temperature. Then again I may be a bit anal about it.

Being in Florida, I think that humidity is your biggest enemy.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftaco View Post
I am currently storing most of my ammo in my garage. I have it locked up in my craftsman tool box inside Gallon size Ziploc bags.

I live in Florida and it can get maybe up to 90 degrees in there during the summer.

Maybe 40 degrees tops in the winter.

Will I be able to store this ammo with no problems? The ammo in question are of the 9mm FMJ kind.
I store my ammo in the garage as well with greater temp extremes than you but the changes are gradual. I have yet to have any problems.

I keep all my ammo in the original packaging. Don't know if the gallon size ziploc bags are helpful or not, I would be concerned about condensation or moisture being trapped inside the bag and corroding the ammo or damaging the charge in some way.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Humidity and EXTREME temps are the killers. Since Florida homes have no basements (as they would be classified as "swimming pools"), I would recommend the following:

1. Use a food or clothes vacuum rig (Food Saver or Space Bag) to minimize the air (and therefore the water vapor) in contact with the ammo. Adding bulk silica would also help.
2. Consider buying a cheap mini fridge on a thermostatically controlled switch that turns on the fridge only when the garage temp hits 120 or above.

Sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. I refuse to be a sheep. I am not a wolf. Only one option left as I see it.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #5

I would not be to worried I also live in FL. I keep my rounds under my bed.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Fla. here also, I added a shelf in a closet for ammo.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You guys store it?

I shoot it! All my ammo stays fresh that way!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #8

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

I have a lot of ammo on hand. But I rotate it when I shoot. I take from the top. But after I reload it I put it on the bottom.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #9

I don't plan on storing very long mind you. Just keeping some in the garage for the range. I'll probably store the ammo at a max of one month at a time. Hopefully less than that. I have a 150 rounds out there now. Ill hopefully shoot it all this Saturday!

I have it out there because I can lock it up and I know the kids wont get into it out there.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #10

If your storing for such a short time, no worries. As stated above moisture is the biggest storage concern. Get a good quality GI ammo can and your good.