ammo storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ammo storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ammo storage

hey guys! anyone ever heard of ammo boxes that might keep out moisture when stored in an attic or somewhere similiar? the attic is prob the worst place but I thought i would ask, i can't keep in the safe so that is reason for the question thanks for replys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Any military ammo can is water proof and air tight. There are plastic ones as well. Your problem is not the air or water it is the heat. My attic gets well over 100* on a day that is only 75 or 80* outside. When you couple that with the winter and that is what is going to ruin a batch of ammo in the attic.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to firearmstalk, stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here. If you have and I missed it, I apologize.

I am not aware of any such can but I can offer you a suggestion and it is what I do personally becuase I keep the bulk of my ammo as well as reloading supplies in my basement where it is also a bit damp. Buy a couple of ammo cans and make sure the seal is in good shape so they'll be air tight. Then go to any retailer or pharmacy(pharmacies have TONS) and ask them for the dry packs that come with their shipments. If you know someone who works there it helps. I make sure the ammo and inside of the care and clean and dry, fill with ammo and throw 4 or 5 of those in with it. If you don't open it very often you should be set for a LONG time. If you open them frequently, just change out the packs every couple of months. You can purchase dry packs for in a safe but I'm cheap and my father in law is a pharmasist so I get them for free.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #4

can i leave the ammo in their original boxes or will the cardboard retain too much moisture?thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd leave them in their boxes. You're not looking for a zero humidity environment, you'll have a hard time doing that. You want an even temp, preferably cool and dry. If you keep it in your house somewhere like a closet that would be perfect! Stays 70-75ish, year around and lower humidity thanks to your heat pump. I agree with tango, the attick isn't a great place, too much temp change.

A rapid change in temp can cause condensation on and inside the bullet case which can cause corrosion or powder contamination, neither are good.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What Spittinfire said.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #7

Default Shelf life

It is not my intention to advise partaking in anything that could be considered dangerous, but smokeless power is a very "user friendly" material, and about the only case that I dispose of unused powder would be if the powder were to become completed dowsed in water and then dried.

It will still burn, but many powders do have a coating the effects the burning rate of the powder, and should this be removed or altered the powder will not perform as advertised and is unsafe to use. I'm unsure of what effect the total immersion in water would have on primers, but I have heard they contain similar burn rate chemicals added and I would dispose of any that have become completely wet.

I have personally used powder that was at least 15 years old and had been stored in sealed containers and exposed to temperatures ranging from -10F to 115F and they performed with the same characteristics as "new" powder of the same type.

F. Prefect

Last edited by fprefect; 08-24-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #8

I leave my ammo in a dresser drawer inside the original boxes. Some have been there since Christmas.

S.S.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I moved into my house 10 years ago I inadvertently placed some ammo cans in my attic. That was 10 years ago. Cleaning my attic out, I found almost 2000 rds. of various ammo last year. I have been shooting them with no ill effects. Most of the ammo is reloads which I made in the mid-90's, so there is no primer or bullet sealant on any of it. It does get over 100 degrees in the attic in the summer, and below 0 in the winter, but it's not GRADUAL seasonal changes in temp. that ruin ammo - it's drastic and RAPID changes that cause condensation. You can bet that much of the surplus ammo manufactured in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's has not been stored in a cool dry place for decades, yet it still works fine! That being said, my powder, primers, and new ammo is stored in my basement which is cool and dry year round.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"