is the ammo shortage over? but prices are up?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > is the ammo shortage over? but prices are up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default is the ammo shortage over? but prices are up?

The fall season is here, and ammo for pistols in So Calif. is again easy to get, but the prices of certain ammo is high, 45acp and of course the hardest to find 10mm.
Is this true in other parts of the country? and how are prices compared to the year of the great ammo shortage.
Does Wal Mart have the ammo you want, we have no 45acp in our area but 9mm is available, also 40s&w.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ammunition at the Sacramento Wally Worlds is hit or miss. Last time I was in, I picked up seven boxes of WWB 9mm. But there wasn't any .45ACP or .38/357 and I didn't notice if they had any .40 S&W, because I don't shoot it.

I think it all depends on your timing and getting lucky near delivery time.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wal Marts around here are starting to have a little bit of everything. Just recently 45 has showed up again. 357, 38 are a little harder to find and 380 even shows its face occasionally.
40 has always been on the shelf around here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

YEAH the ammo shortage is over the rescission is over YEAH let me max out my credit card woot woot.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I'm not sure about Wally world as I don't go there, but the local shops have plenty of ammo. It is high and most likely will never come down. I'm glad I bought reloading components in quanity years ago. Still sitting on a few boxes of 750 158gr semi wad cutters for .357 and a few boxes of 100 158gr SP. I have so much cast lead and jacketed for 9x19 + a 50 cal ammo can of .380 ammo and a few hundred bullets to reload. 10mm, plenty of components for that too. 9x18 is still cheap at $9.00 per 50. .45acp is still hard to come by and of coarse that is what I'm light on for reloading. My wifes .32acp has been tough to get ammo for. When I can find it it is anywhere from $9.95 to 17.00 per 50.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
YEAH the ammo shortage is over the rescission is over YEAH let me max out my credit card woot woot.
The scary thing is a bunch of people will probably do that very thing.

I don't even have a credit card anymore.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have 2 right now that are in dire need to be paid off. When I pay them off I am throwing them in a bon fire.

I hate myself for paying someone else to spend my own money.

I may keep the smallest of the two as a OH shart I need a new set of tires of some emergency and that is it.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

cpttango30,

re. debt: dave ramsey's snowball system...pay off the smallest debt; add that payment to the next smallest; when that's paid, add it to the next and so on. when done, your money is your own...except for that the greedy politicians extort from us, of course!

it looks like manufacturers are looking for a short-term gain instead of future sales. keeping prices high might give them a windfall today, but i think firearm and ammo prices will turn off the next generation.

cutting off the neck of the golden goose comes to mind.

budman

ignorance is its own reward

Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have 2 right now that are in dire need to be paid off. When I pay them off I am throwing them in a bon fire.

I hate myself for paying someone else to spend my own money.

I may keep the smallest of the two as a OH shart I need a new set of tires of some emergency and that is it.
You can always get some Consumer Credit Counseling, they will pay off your debts & consolidate them into one low interest payment...of course the credit card company will blacklist you to say "Thank You".

As far as Ammo goes, I spent my last $15,000 on ammo while it was at it's peak cost, so people don't come into my shop to buy ammo any more, now I just shoot it All Myself... Oh and I got every caliber...

Last edited by billdeserthills; 09-22-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The local WW seems to be fairly well stocked, if you go shopping at the right time. They are using a 3 box limit, but they don't care what size/count the box is. I picked up a 100 round box of WWB; they shot fine, but the brass looked nasty.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.