Ammo Shortage - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 307 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Ammo is scarce here in Tucson. I paid $405 each for three cans of 5.56 62gr and .45 is running about a buck a round. .22 is gone, none to be had by hook or crook.

Do you folks think that the market will cool off any time soon or should I keep buying at these high prices? I am really new to shooting and I would like a few thousand rounds to learn with. The only thing I have been regularly able to find is 12ga target loads.

I bought my wife a Baby Eagle by IMI in .45 and a Sig P220 Extreme for myself. Then I picked up a Sionics AR-15. I bought a 1000 rounds of 5.56 55gr and 500 rounds of .45 thinking that would hold me awhile... Sadly I was very wrong on that call.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #22
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1830 Times on 1055 Posts
Likes Given: 3758

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingMind View Post
Ammo is scarce here in Tucson. I paid $405 each for three cans of 5.56 62gr and .45 is running about a buck a round. .22 is gone, none to be had by hook or crook.

Do you folks think that the market will cool off any time soon or should I keep buying at these high prices? I am really new to shooting and I would like a few thousand rounds to learn with. The only thing I have been regularly able to find is 12ga target loads.

I bought my wife a Baby Eagle by IMI in .45 and a Sig P220 Extreme for myself. Then I picked up a Sionics AR-15. I bought a 1000 rounds of 5.56 55gr and 500 rounds of .45 thinking that would hold me awhile... Sadly I was very wrong on that call.
I wish it would cool off; but, with the political ongoings - I doubt it!

I too have been getting 12 gauge target loads, slugs and buckshot.

Be very tight on the ammo that is hard to find, until supply comes back to somewhat normal I will be more friendly with the 870 and might grab another one.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post

I wish it would cool off; but, with the political ongoings - I doubt it!

I too have been getting 12 gauge target loads, slugs and buckshot.

Be very tight on the ammo that is hard to find, until supply comes back to somewhat normal I will be more friendly with the 870 and might grab another one.
I really want more .45 for pistol training. My wife and I are both using .45. We need much more range training. Then again I get the feeling that there is no such thing as enough range training...
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

9-12 months and it will be back.

A good time to learn how to hand load.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

I have been saving all my brass. Haven't the first clue what to do with it, but I have it. Should I save spent shotgun shell hulls as well?

Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Like most places, ammo is scarce in my part of Missouri, near KC. However, I travel to Utah (Salt Lake) for business fairly often, and have had better luck there. Found a relatively new shop two weeks ago, where I got a case of 9mm 115gr FMJ for a respectable 30 cents/round. Went back this week, and that product was gone, but they had a nice supply of 9mm 124gr JHP, so I got a few boxes of that.

The store manager said that they work a little harder to get ammo from distributors, compared to some other shops. I don't know about that, but he's obviously doing something right. They had some stock of most of the common calibers, except for .22. I hope my Cabela's orders for 22LR come through. These orders were made a few weeks ago, before the dreaded "no backorders" era ...

Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #27

I am really in need of .22lr for my daughters. They really like the two .22 rifles I bought for target practice and anti varmint duty. We went down to the range and they went through an entire 525 round box.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2715 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

Considered handloading myself. Can't find ANY primers (other than 209s) in my area, S.E. PA. Seems easier to find ammo though, lately.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #29

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Midway has a LITTLE 9mm - never used it but going to try a few boxes- Trying not to shoot my "gud" stuff--

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777168/sellier-and-bellot-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50?cm_cat=CheckoutConfirm&cm_pla=ProductDescrip

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #30

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Just clicked on the link. Out of stock.

I use the same for range ammo. Puts a hole in paper.

NEVER FORGET