Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ammo shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default Shortage

Federal runs the Lake City plant for the Gov't. They supply most small arms ammo for the line troops. Some of the smaller, semi-autonomous units (SF and DELTA) "allegedly" procure at least of their ammo from other sources (Blackhills). To supply the Iraqi's with ammo the Government is buying up much of the world surplus stocks. The commercial manufacturers may be supplying some components to LC. The world prices for metals (Copper, Lead, Brass) have skyrocketed. China and India are buying all they can get. If the politicians would get off their A$$es we could get this thing wrapped up and stabilize the market. The politicians do not want this thing to end. The Military Industrial Complex is making serious $'s. That is the main parallel I see to Vietnam. They do not want to win the war. They want to string it out and make money for themselves and their contributors.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Also realize that once the AW ban ended in 2004, there are a LOT more people purchasing AR type rifles now than could during the 10 year period at that time. Increased demand from the public means supplies get rarer.. not to mention what's going on in Iraq and Afganistan (remember that one?) also. Since more units are going active and/or rotating in and out, training has also gone up substantially, and that drains supplies further as well.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Must only be shorts in certain areas, look at cabelas and cheaper than dirt they have plenty and 7.62.39 at great prices as well as 223, At my store Academy Sports we have Monarch russian ammo for 7.62 and 223 as well as 308 at killer prices and have plenty in stock Bought a bunch of lake city ammo other day just to put back for a rainy day

Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, ammo is going up. I've been talking to a lot of people about this and it seems 15% to 30% as of January 1. I just stocked up on a bunch of shotgun shells before the increase hit. I bought a case of 16 gauge low brass Winchester game loads for $52.99. When they rang up at the register it was $75.99. I got them for 52, but was told next time I buy , that will be the price. I was at Cabella's the other day and noticed they were in the middle of changing all the price labels on the shelves. 22's have jumped as well, Federal .22's that were selling for $12 a brick in December are now $26! Remington and Winchester .22's seemed to have almost doubled as well. Primers have jumped a few dollars per thousand too. Lead shot in my area is selling for about $65 per 25 pounds. The last bag I bought was in 2001 and paid $13. I know that was awhile ago, but over 400% increase in 7 years is crazy!

The war is not the reason ammo is going up in price. It may cause a short term shortage of certain calibers, but not too much in price. The real reason is that our "friends" in China are buying all our scrap metal. A friend of mine in the demolition business told me when they take scrap copper in to the recycler, it is immediately shipped to China, because they will pay more for it.
So, American companies must pay more in order to secure raw materials too, so guess what? Price goes up!!! Today is a great day to start reloading and casting bullets too. Save that brass!

I would recommend finding some good deals and stock up as much as you can afford to because I would not bet this is the last price increase this year. Sometimes I do wonder if this isn't a ploy by our anti gun politicians to price us out of our hobby. They figure they have never been able to win on the platform of gun confiscation, so lets make ammo so expensive that no one can afford to shoot. If this isn't the case, I'm sure they're amused none the less.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Prices have risen substantially in the past year and the UN has banned the sale of surplus small arms ammo in a supposed effort to combat terrorism.
Nothing against you but when do we take our orders from the UN?

Member GCO

Old 01-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Nothing against you but when do we take our orders from the UN?
We don't. But other countries with lots of desirable bulk surplus ammo might.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoez View Post
Lead shot in my area is selling for about $65 per 25 pounds. The last bag I bought was in 2001 and paid $13. I know that was awhile ago, but over 400% increase in 7 years is crazy!
Holy Moly!
I haven't bought lead shot in so long I didn't realize how much it went up.
I used to shoot a lot of skeet until my club was forced by the EPA to stop using lead shot on the skeet and trap ranges several years ago. (2002?)
Something about being too close to wetlands........
Just before this happened, I bought a dozen bags of #8.5 (hard to find, but that's what I preferred for my "pet" 1 oz.load) on sale for a really great price. IIRC, it was somewhere around $12 a bag. But I got "stuck" with it after it was banned. I still have 10 bags left. I'm using it as "ballast" in the bottom of my safe!
This just may turn out to be a VERY good investment

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

The growth of the economies of Pakistan, India, China, Indonesia, etc. all have produced higher levels of competion for finite productions of oil, lead, copper, etc. It will only get worse as they modernize and grow. Can you imagine how much copper it will take to provide an electrical infastructer for those large countries? And the tons of oil they will need for newly paved highways, power generation, plastics, fertilizer and fuel?

Our prices, on eveything due to inflation, will increase as their consumption increases. The only solution is for our politicians to abandon the tree-hugger movements and open our own, known oil reserves and allow the construction of new nuclear power plants. It won't happen until the public demands it and that's not on the horizion as yet.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #19

Righteous what part of Alabama do you live in? I'm in Alexander City and I often shop at Academy in Birmingham but I haven't found what I would call great prices on any ammo; Guns yes ammo no.
Even at the gun shows the surplus ammo pickings are slim to none, and the prices are just stupid.
As for those who wrongfull think the U.N. has no controll over our sport, just wait until the next Democrat goes into the oval office, a sad day for the USA!