ammo shortage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ammo shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ammo shortage

Has anyone heard of any ammo shortages as a result of the war in Iraq? I just saw an article claiming that there is one but I bet if I was to go to walmart they would have plenty.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the gov't. still makes it's own ammo.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say in a general big picture sort of way, yes there is a shortage. Have you seen the prices lately? I know that HSM which is here in the state cannot keep with demand from Police agencies, and they are not the only ones.

Depending on what caliber you are looking for, Wal-Mart may just be out of what you want. Then they may not depending on the day.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #4

Default Ammo Shortage

The government gets all of its components to make ammo the same place you and I get it from supplyers like CCI ,WINCHESTER , Remington , Federal ECT, the price of metal has doubled and is going higher, I,m sure the war has alot to do with it!!! I know CCI is not going to make primers for suvilian retail for at least two years cause the government is in short supply, and I'm sure thats not the only thing, so yes we are having an ammo shortage but this is just the start of it, I'm sure it is going to get alot worse as time goes on!!! Keep in mind that after you run out of ammo you are left holding a glorified baseball bat, so it might be in your best intrest to stock up now, the future is unsure, and I don't remember ammo ever getting cheaper, so don't hold out for that. I personaly have gotten rid of alot of oddball stuff and only kept the guns that are near and dear to me, with just a few differant cal, so I can consentrate on only those parts nessasary to keep my ammo needs stocked up!!! I don't know how much truth there is to this but I heard Lake City ammo depot is at its lowest since ww11, So consider yourself warned!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #5

Default Ammo Shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
The government gets all of its components to make ammo the same place you and I get it from supplyers like CCI ,WINCHESTER , Remington , Federal ECT, the price of metal has doubled and is going higher, I,m sure the war has alot to do with it!!! I know CCI is not going to make primers for suvilian retail for at least two years cause the government is in short supply, and I'm sure thats not the only thing, so yes we are having an ammo shortage but this is just the start of it, I'm sure it is going to get alot worse as time goes on!!! Keep in mind that after you run out of ammo you are left holding a glorified baseball bat, so it might be in your best intrest to stock up now, the future is unsure, and I don't remember ammo ever getting cheaper, so don't hold out for that. I personaly have gotten rid of alot of oddball stuff and only kept the guns that are near and dear to me, with just a few differant cal, so I can consentrate on only those parts nessasary to keep my ammo needs stocked up!!! I don't know how much truth there is to this but I heard Lake City ammo depot is at its lowest since ww11, So consider yourself warned!!!
Just and after thought, those of you that think you will not be effected because you shoot a Ruger .204 or a non militarry round, keep in mind that it's the same primer used to build the round that the .223 cal uses, ALL ammo will be affected, the shortage could be anything from powder to brass, primers, lead, copper,ECT, You get the idea!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The military buys it's ammo from commercial manufacturers, who produce the ammo to military specs, under contract. I don't think the military has made it's own for several decades.

Military contracts accounts for part of the shortage and price increase, as well as the shortage of raw matereials, such as the metal used to make the components. Another issue is the cost of fuel to deliver the raw material and the finished product is passed along to the consumer. As long as we are getting most of our oil from overseas, it's something we're going to have to llive with.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #7

Default Civilian supply

Prices have risen substantially in the past year and the UN has banned the sale of surplus small arms ammo in a supposed effort to combat terrorism.

Police Departments have complained over the shortage and Homeland Security has asked the manufacturers to fill the PD orders before the civilian orders.

There is only so much capacity. The manufacturers have HUGE orders of small arms ammo from the Government they must fill, on a monthly basis.
The Government does not load ammo any more.

Prices of everything in ammo has gone up from the prices of metals to the price of oil.

It is unlikely you will see prices go down and availability will be tougher.
Best to have some saved up for a rainy day.....without ammo..firearms make very poor self defense tools !

Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2111 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3177

"If I'm not mistaken, the gov't. still makes it's own ammo"

The US military has one small arms manufacturing plant left: Lake City Ammo Plant in Independence, MO. That plant is run by Olin Corp. and manufactures 5.56mm through 20mm ammunition.

BTW: During the run up to Desert Storm, the US Army did not have nearly enough 9mm and .45 caliber ammo. They bought tens of millions of rounds from Israel.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

So can the relative high cost of .223 (as opposed to 5.56) be attributed to the cost of metals? Or is civilian demand also higher?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHorse View Post
Has anyone heard of any ammo shortages as a result of the war in Iraq? I just saw an article claiming that there is one but I bet if I was to go to walmart they would have plenty.
Guys,

If you think you guys have a shortage of ammo in the U.S, you should come down to South Africa.

We battle to get any decent ammo, esp. handgun defensive ammo.
I have phoned around recently to check availability of 9mm JHP ammo, most gun shops (the few that still exist) have little or no stock of 9mm JHP's. Even ball ammo is becomming scarce. What you can get is being sold at a rediculous premium, sometimes 3 x the cost price if not more.

PMP still manufactures ammo for the civilian market, there are also a few smaller companies that manufacture ammo, but stock is hard to come by as it is bought up as quickly as it arrives.