Ammo selection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ammo selection

This seemed to me like the right place to put this, but if there is a more fitting place feel free to move it.

I've been thinking about getting a few guns for a SHTF situation. I've got 14 guns already and spent 6 years in the Army, so I know the benefits and downsides of the pieces I'm looking at. I'm down to either an AR-15 or an AK and a Glock in either .45 or a 9mm. The deciding factor will be ammo availability in a bad situation. I know I can stockpile (which I do), but even a large supply runs out. However, what I'm thinking is that since the government mostly uses 5.56 and 9mm, those will be more readily available. What do y'all think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My thoughts are as follows.....
A weapon chambered for 5.56 NATO. LEO's and Military both use 5.56 and there are MANY civilians with .223 firearms so either of those rounds should be plentiful for a while in a EOFTAWKI situation. Also a 5.56 chamber will digest .223 with only a little loss of accuracy whereas a .223 chamber firing 5.56 will cause unsafe chamber pressures.

The other rifle caliber that I would consider is .30-06. It is one of the most chambered for calibers in America.

.40 cal because it is a popular choice for LEO and civilian use.

9mm Luger since it is a NATO round and is favored by many people. It is also roughly half the weight of .45 ACP. I love my .45 but in a run for the hills situation I could find a better pistol.

My 2 Cents

Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default Ammo selection

I have one of each caliber and 2 of the more popular ones. It depends on the scenario. Invasion from a former Warsaw pact country, AK in 7.62 X 39 or 5.45 X 39. Unrest or usurption of rights from within, AR in 5.56.

Firing 5.56 in a .223 barrel MIGHT cause a dangerous rise in pressure, depends on the rifle/chamber/ammo.

Handgun- why not one of each?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'm a full-time college student right now, so funds are limited (Using VA and GI Bill to get me through.). That's why I'm trying to get the most out of my purchase. Once I get out of school and start making some money, I will buy the other alternatives.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #5

Default shtf ammo

You are right there will be plenty of NATO ammo laying around, right next to the gun that was fireing it, the only speacial perpose ammo I can really see having around would be for a long range conflict resolution device ( sniper rifle ) this is the cal you will want to pick out, hand load, and carry only the finest ammo money can buy, there will not be any of these laying around, so the one you have should be perfect in every way, and have plenty of ammo on hand, truth be known most shots will be fired from long range, only a fool would go running strait into the sh$$ with an AR-15, like I said there will be plenty of ammo laying around

If you run your just going to die tired!!!