Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo for S&W Chief model 36 snub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo for S&W Chief model 36 snub

I have a model 36 that is from the 60"s. I'd like to get some personal defense rounds. Because of it's age, I've been told to make sure not to get anything with +P. Any suggestions on a good round ? Or places to check to see what would be ok to use? I'm thinking of contacting S&W and see what they say. But I'd like opinions of people that use them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #2

Get a box of Hornaday Critical Defense. It is expensive but its not for plinking !
I agree you shouldn't use +P but with that ammo you won't need it anyway.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7563 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

A few cylinders of +P are not going to hurt a Model 36. Now, hurting your HAND is another matter entirely! (Hint- Pachmayr=good)

An extended diet of hot ammo WILL result in shortening the life of the revolver. Acclerated wear on timing components, and you will learn about "end shake" and "cranes".

OTOH, if it stops someone trying to do harm to me and mine, when it is over, I'll have it gold plated, mounted on a plaque, and hang it over the fireplace- right after I buy another.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.