Ammo Reloading Expert - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Reloading Expert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can only put just so many grains of powder in a case,and the bullet can only weigh so many grains. I'm not sure of what they are right now,I'd have to check my reloading manuals. A alluminum case? CCI has em and they are not reloadable. Sounds like the magic bullet. But if it works....

Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #12

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default very well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You must first survive the encounter. Good quality hollow points will do a good job (repeat as necessary). Never count on a one shot stop, I would not count on a one magazine stop.

You must then survive the inquisition that will follow. Many prosecutors will try to vilify you and your home brew ammo. In civil court you will be screwed if you used non factory ammo. They will stack the (jury) deck against you and paint the shootee as an misunderstood angel. I hope you have ALOT of insurance.

I would NEVER carry handloads for defense.
Yeah--what HE said...

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It these handloads are that much more explosive than other commercial HP loads, then I'd say someting's a little fishy. I'm not sure how your retired LEO buddy built 'em, but I wouldn't trust them for anything more than executing milk jugs.

For decent .380 loads I'd suggest a look at Speer Gold Dots and CorBon DPX. They'll both provide about all you can expect from a .380----------which includes penetration.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, are you sure they are not Nickle plated Brass?

There are several very good loadings for .380, and I have reloaded some to make some practice rounds.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Save reloads for practice. Buy factory for carry and home.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 AM   #16

Hmmm... Sounds like a pretty frangible situation, if not something more exotic. Heck, put on your face shield and gloves and dig that wax out of there. Let us know what ya find. Might just be some birdshot in an enlarged cavity. Or maybe a rabid coon stuffed in there.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #17

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Sounds a lot like Glaser <--- (may not be spelled right) safety slugs, possible home made ones. Or frangible rounds.

I carry factory ball ammo for my 9mm and .45 auto for protection and home defense. Reliability and penetration is important, as apposed to potential damage.

A study done buy the F.B.I. study group indicated that Hollow points in hand guns are ok but expansion may not be to there full potential as with hollow points fired from a rifle and depending on weather hollow points may not penetrate as deep of the target is wearing lot of clothing to keep warm. This is why they use ball ammo for reliability of penetration instead of high damage output.