Ammo Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo Question

What is the best ammunition for my new M&P15? I've heard tha Wolf isn't that great.
What about "Ultramax"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Ultramax are reloads (nothing wrong with that) and work fine in my AR. I've put about 800 rounds through with one FTF. They're pretty accurate.

Dick's Sporting Goods up my way has 55gr fmj .223 in boxes of 150 for $40, which is the best local price I've found.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For over the counter ammo Federal.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with it.

American Eagle 63gr SP (made by Federal) is my plinking ammo of choice in my ARs. Its cheap, reliable, and reasonably accurate.

Black Hills is probably among the better rounds out there in .223, but it is a little too expensive to plink with. I use it for coyote hunting.

Lake City, ADCOM, and Winchester all in 62gr are my stock pile ammo.

I use Wolf to funtion test new magazines, and guns. It is cheap for high volume shooting. Good stuff for guys that just want to pull the trigger, make noise, and bump fire.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Ammo question

You have invested many $'s in this weapon. Runninig wolf or any other inexpensive ammo is akin to running 87 octane in your Corvette. It will work for a while, but you will eventually damage it.

I have seen AR's blown up from Ultramax ammo. I only shoot US made factory ammo or MY reloads through my AR's.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have seen AR's blown up from Ultramax ammo.
Okay, you have my undivided attention. What caused them to blow up? Just lousy quality control?

Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #7

What type chamber do you have? If a match chamber only run very good ammo thru it, if a standard chamber you can run just about anything, doesn't mean it will be accurate. For accuracy the better the ammo the more accurate.

MY DOG IS SMARTER THAN MOST POLITICIANS

Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Ammo Q

I worked with the armorer for the PD (I'm the SO armorer) to get to the root cause. Almost assuredly it boils down to mixed brass (Commercial and Military) of unknown origin and history that was not processed properly.

We found several loaded rounds that were out of specs. The case (mostly Military) had not been trimmed and was likely fired through a SAW or had been fired several times with out being trimmed. When the brass gets too long, the mouth will be forced into the rifling thus not allowing the bullet to leave until the pressures go WAY up. In internal ballistics bad things can happen in milliseconds.

This combined with the smaller internal dimensions of the military case (brass is thicker) and a powder charge that is at or near max for a commercial case will cause pressures to skyrocket.

The variance between manufacturers of brass can cause accuracy problems but the Military cases are in a different league. That is why every manufacturer of reloading components recommends working up a new load when ANY component is changed.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #9

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. That is scary!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #10

Default blow ups

what you really are saying is bad reloads were the problem not Wolf ammo.that makes a lot of differance and is not the fault of Wolf ammo.I don't shoot Wolf as I have no need to.