Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Ammo Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/ammo-question-759/)

BaldEagle 06-01-2007 04:34 PM

Ammo Question

What is the best ammunition for my new M&P15? I've heard tha Wolf isn't that great.
What about "Ultramax"?

bkt 06-01-2007 05:46 PM

Ultramax are reloads (nothing wrong with that) and work fine in my AR. I've put about 800 rounds through with one FTF. They're pretty accurate.

Dick's Sporting Goods up my way has 55gr fmj .223 in boxes of 150 for $40, which is the best local price I've found.

JoeLee 06-02-2007 12:12 AM

For over the counter ammo Federal.

BrassMonkey 06-02-2007 01:55 AM

It depends on what you want to do with it.

American Eagle 63gr SP (made by Federal) is my plinking ammo of choice in my ARs. Its cheap, reliable, and reasonably accurate.

Black Hills is probably among the better rounds out there in .223, but it is a little too expensive to plink with. I use it for coyote hunting.

Lake City, ADCOM, and Winchester all in 62gr are my stock pile ammo.

I use Wolf to funtion test new magazines, and guns. It is cheap for high volume shooting. Good stuff for guys that just want to pull the trigger, make noise, and bump fire.

robocop10mm 07-03-2007 01:04 PM

Ammo question

You have invested many $'s in this weapon. Runninig wolf or any other inexpensive ammo is akin to running 87 octane in your Corvette. It will work for a while, but you will eventually damage it.

I have seen AR's blown up from Ultramax ammo. I only shoot US made factory ammo or MY reloads through my AR's.

bkt 07-03-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 3598)
I have seen AR's blown up from Ultramax ammo.

Okay, you have my undivided attention. What caused them to blow up? Just lousy quality control?

DWARREN123 07-04-2007 11:30 AM

What type chamber do you have? If a match chamber only run very good ammo thru it, if a standard chamber you can run just about anything, doesn't mean it will be accurate. For accuracy the better the ammo the more accurate.

robocop10mm 07-05-2007 04:51 PM

Ammo Q

I worked with the armorer for the PD (I'm the SO armorer) to get to the root cause. Almost assuredly it boils down to mixed brass (Commercial and Military) of unknown origin and history that was not processed properly.

We found several loaded rounds that were out of specs. The case (mostly Military) had not been trimmed and was likely fired through a SAW or had been fired several times with out being trimmed. When the brass gets too long, the mouth will be forced into the rifling thus not allowing the bullet to leave until the pressures go WAY up. In internal ballistics bad things can happen in milliseconds.

This combined with the smaller internal dimensions of the military case (brass is thicker) and a powder charge that is at or near max for a commercial case will cause pressures to skyrocket.

The variance between manufacturers of brass can cause accuracy problems but the Military cases are in a different league. That is why every manufacturer of reloading components recommends working up a new load when ANY component is changed.

sixgunner 07-20-2007 11:49 AM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. That is scary!

WILDCATT 07-22-2007 12:16 AM

blow ups

what you really are saying is bad reloads were the problem not Wolf ammo.that makes a lot of differance and is not the fault of Wolf ammo.I don't shoot Wolf as I have no need to.:confused: :)