Ammo question...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 841 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Default Ammo question...

Well, more like clarification....

A friend had me watch some videos of a Taurus Raging Bull .454, and in a few of them by different people, they were calling the rounds they were shooting FMJHP. Now, I know about FMJ and JHP, but are there some Jacketed Hollow Points that have full metal jackets?

I ask because I really only ever used either JHP or FMJ, and new about a few others. I'm not sure if this is something real, or the guys doing the vids are morons.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Probably shooting Magtech ammo. They load a 454 that they CALL FMJ, and it IS a hollow point, but it is misnamed. It is a solid copper HP round.

To me, solid copper is not FMJ.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Ok, I was under the impression that there was a significant distinction between FMJ and JHP, being that FMJ was solid, unlike JHP.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

FMJ and HP are mutually exclusive terms. If a company or person is using them together they are pointing out their ignorance.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Agree with Robo. FMJ means that the lead core is surrounded by a jacket of gilding metal, usually a copper nickel alloy. Magtech has a pure copper hollowpoint (no lead) so it is not a jacketed bullet. JHP has a jacket on part of the bullet, and a hollow point at front- JSP has partial jacket, soft lead tip exposed.

Sort of like dehydrated water or low salt brine.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

How would you describe expanding FMJ?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Could you give an example? Not ragging you, but only one that comes to mind is the Ballistic tip. (and the exploding bullets)

Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Could you give an example? Not ragging you, but only one that comes to mind is the Ballistic tip. (and the exploding bullets)
there are some fmj rounds that have a cavity just under jacket where the hollow point would normally be. it looks almost like a standard fmj round. the theory is there is no hollow to clog so expansion happens everytime plus it feeds in all guns even ones that cant feed the ballistic tips. with no plastic insert to deform or pull out.

unfortunately they are underweight rounds. for the 45acp they weigh in at 200 grains with a similar profile as a 230grn fmj. appearence wise they have a flat tip

40sw version:

im not convinced they got the ooomph to get through 12inches of bone and bad guy. im sticking with 230grain hp or 230grain fmj

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #9

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

That's them up there^ Reason I ask, I was told by "a guy" at the LGS that EFMJ gets past the NJ no hollow point rule since technically it's not a hollow point.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington