Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo quality question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Ammo quality question

I'm a shooter not a reloader or an ammo expert. This isn't a reload problem, but as you all are reloaders I'm thinking you can easily answer my question.

I bought three boxes of PPU .308 Win "match-grade" 168grain HPBT ammo from Cabelas, and the cases are deburred very badly, if at all. The bullets look like they're seated okay, but I've never shot ammo so nastily burred, in fact I've never seen any ammo like this, and I'm wondering if it's safe to shoot, or should I just send it back?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some insight about this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Its safe to shoot. You just arent going to get "match grade" accuracy. If you fire it as is you will get those burrs in your action and chamber. You can take a small file and knock the burrs off.

The only production ammo i would consider remotely match grade would be stuff coming from black hills ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Thanks, very much appreciated; I'll do that.

Yeah, I like Black Hills too, but right now it's hard to find in .308

Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Could be their type of crimp instead of a deburring problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

a picture could do some good here. but if it truly is a burr. then take a small file or emmery cloth to it.