Ammo purchase orders being cancelled, back order no being filled
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo purchase orders being cancelled, back order no being filled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4097

Default Ammo purchase orders being cancelled, back order no being filled

I have already experienced this and other here too. I am also reading it on other forums.

Orders that were placed back in October of this year are not being filled; but, cancelled.

Common rifle ammo .223/5.56 (I picked up some PMC X-TAC 5.56 62 gr. ammo)

From other forums

"Ok, probably the wrong forum but it'll get some exposure for a bit before it gets move.

WAY back in the beginning of October I put in an order for some Federal rifle ammo through Cabela's, it was promptly put on back order - that's OK, I believed it was coming in. I check the order, now about two months old and find it was cancelled. Cr@p.

So I get a hold of customer service and find out they cancelled the order because Federal said no more back order fulfilling.

I find this distressing a bit. Yeah, I can find this sort of ammo elsewhere if I look but even on Cabela's much of it's 'backorderable'.

It's a COMMON rifle caliber, very common. I know this isn't new news but I figure if the main manufacturer's aren't supplying a major retailer something is way more than just 'up'.

I'm preaching to the choir but get that ammo folks (if you need to)."

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 12-09-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

cabelas often has issues with not filling backorders. i tried using em in the past for a few things and always got the run around. dont even bother shopping their site anymore.

if it was a more honest company i would lend it more credence.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Bigcountry,

Bottom line is a lot of retailers had no idea the ammunition demand was going to be what it is at the present time. I would encourage anyone wanting 223/5.56 and any popular calibers get it anywhere and as much as you can get.
Two weeks ago a dealer at a California Gun Show that my best friend was at, sold believe it or not, 12 skids full of 7.62X39 ammunition. He said the wooden skids were completely full and stacked about 8 cases high. They brought them in with a portable fork lift. He said the people looked like aunts walking up the aisle carrying a case or so of the ammunition away from that booth. Yes I said 12 skids! And there was no ammunition for sale (of the popular brands) anywhere by Sunday afternoon! A lot of the major AR manufacturers are now running 4-6 months out on delivery due to the demand at the present. I think in their case Cabela's of course miscalculated their estimated ammunition demand for 223/5.56 and ran way short. I have a good friend that is an executive with ATK (who owns Federal) and he said it is getting absolutely crazy. Law Enforcement Agencies are ordering 223/5.56 ammunition at the present one year in advance. And other pistol calibers at least 6 months in advance in order to get it in in time for training and department issue. So that is some of what is going on. I stopped by a gun ship in the Indy area while teaching last week. The owner advised their shelves had been cleaned of any and all AR-15 Rifles and most of the Semi-Auto Pistols he had in stock which was easy to see. This is not a real small store either! O may be a complete jerk but he is the best ammunition and weapon salesman in the world! So if you can find the ammo! Get It! I would look at Cheaper than Dirt or Midway USA for a couple of sources.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Glad I reload and am stocked up on primers, bullets and powder.

There hasn't been to much a rush in ammo here in Arkansas that I've seen. Hardly anyone buying reloading stuff in local stores in Arkansas. There still a couple places here in Arkansas I can go to and wouldn't worry a bit whether I can find it or not.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I've had a hard time finding more than 100-200 rounds of 9mm and. 45 at any given time. Everywhere from bass pro to dicks sporting goods to Walmart is cleaned out.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
I've had a hard time finding more than 100-200 rounds of 9mm and. 45 at any given time. Everywhere from bass pro to dicks sporting goods to Walmart is cleaned out.
I just had to drive to a Walmart I've never been at before. I bought 5 boxes of Federal (100 rounds) for $19.97 a box. The Walmart is about 30 minutes further than my normal Walmart, but I'm happy now.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Gunauction.com has a ton of .45 acp for sale. My LGS (visited this afternoon) has two cases of handguns, and several AR type rifles- even a few AKs. Some shortages seem to be regional.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4097

I did a local run to Sportsman's Warehouse, Dick's & Wally World. The .22LR is getting slim. I did pickup some Remington 223 55 gr and PMC 223 55gr; small boxes, nothing bulk version. Talked to one and they are getting a small amount than what they ordered.

We had the local Gun Show, word I got from some, the gun and accessories prices too high and ammo is slim; some reloads sellers only, not like in 2009 some sweet bulk purchases.

Sportsman's Warehouse has alot of AR's on the shelves.

I forgot to add, Sportsman's has alot of tracer rounds!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 12-09-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #9

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

The shelves at my local Walmart has never had more 223 and 5.56 that it does now the shelves can't hold more had to move it down to other section of shelfs. But I love it hope everyone gets out and stockpiles 3 times what they could shoot in a lifetime.then maybe prices will normalize and I can buy from classified adds from everyone when they start realizing there was nothing to panic about.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 676

What the sporting goods manager at wally world told me her ammo orders are very spotty. Not that there is a shortage but the track can only hold so much and it has to deliver some ammo to every store on the route.