Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo- how much do you need.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2355 Times on 1532 Posts

How much do I need? Usually a couple rounds at a time. How much do I want/ have? A few more.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
about 2 billion rounds of ammunition is the correct answer.

thats 1 round per second round the clock non stop for 65 years. prorate for expected life span and divide amongst yopur calibers.

if you dont have 2 billion rounds you dont have enough ammo.
I'd say this is a good answer. But, given this logic, Jerry Miculek would need about.... 20 billion to be safe. Maybe 18 billion if he conserved a bit.

Seriously though, I only buy defensive rounds for my pistol calibers, since I reload. I do buy .22 LR of course, and only have about 1k-1.5k right now. Its enough because i really cant get to the range very often to shoot anymore, now that we just had our second kid. I would like more, of course. But diapers take priority. I don't cast bullets yet, but I plan to start within a year.

My goal in terms of reloading supplies is to have at least three years of supplies on hand at all times. I'm nowhere near that. He.ll I haven't even reloaded any rounds in a month or more. Haven't had any time.

I don't yet reload any rifle or shotgun rounds, though. I'll start of course in the future. Really all I would need for rifle is .308 and 30-30 right now, though.

*sigh* I just wish I were a billionaire so I could buy everything I wanted in terms of firearms.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #23

Liked 567 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 287

Quote:
How much do you thinks is about right
Depends on what you mean by "right" and "need".

The right amount for my needs and wants or "right/need" as in "you don't need that much ammo" and we should put restrictions on how much ammo an individual has a "right" to "hoard".

Quote:
We have a guy who has a pallet of .223,
This concerns you, why? Do you wish you had that much or more or do you think this is more than he "NEEDS" and it's Not "Right" that he is allowed to own that much.

Sorry, but this kind of "need" vs should be allowed to have, pops up all the time.
"He doesn't Need an AR for Hunting".
"He doesn't Need a 30 round mag".
"He doesn't need a whole pallet of 223 ammo".
" He doesn't need more that 7 rounds in his handgun mags".
On and on and on.

Last edited by mseric; 09-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #24

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric

Depends on what you mean by "right" and "need".

The right amount for my needs and wants or "right/need" as in "you don't need that much ammo" and we should put restrictions on how much ammo an individual has a "right" to "hoard".

This concerns you, why? Do you wish you had that much or more or do you think this is more than he "NEEDS" and it's Not "Right" that he is allowed to own that much.

Sorry, but this kind of "need" vs should be allowed to have, pops up all the time.
"He doesn't Need an AR for Hunting".
"He doesn't Need a 30 round mag".
"He doesn't need a whole pallet of 223 ammo".
" He doesn't need more that 7 rounds in his handgun mags".
On and on and on.
I'm not going in the direction you perceiving it. First of all if I had the cash I would have a pallet of every caliber. I just wanted to find out the average counts on what people are storing for rainy days to gauge how far behind the power curve I am. As far as being concerned about people having that much , trust I'm not , I wish we were all fortunate enough to have a warehouse of ammo and guns.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #25

Liked 567 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I'm not going in the direction you perceiving it. First of all if I had the cash I would have a pallet of every caliber. I just wanted to find out the average counts on what people are storing for rainy days to gauge how far behind the power curve I am. As far as being concerned about people having that much , trust I'm not , I wish we were all fortunate enough to have a warehouse of ammo and guns.

That's good to hear!

My answer is "as much as you can afford and have room to store" plus.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #26

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Before the great ammo / gun crunch of 2012-2013, I thought I had my bases covered with about 1K rounds for each caliber I own (except my Ruger .357). Shooting IDPA and pre practice every month, not to mention those trips to the range just to plink, depleted my meager stocks rapidly. I was at the point of shooting matches bi-monthly and thinking of suspending them so I didn't completely run out of target ammo.

IMO, this was a major ammo shortage and it very well could have extended on indefinitely. Like anything else, ammo will always be available if you want / need it, but at what price?

I evaluated my thinking on ammo and came up lacking. As said, you can't have too much, but realistically, I'm going to at a minimum slowly triple my inventory when prices & availability get back to pre Sandy Hook levels.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like to have components or commercial ammo on-hand for a year of shooting...I like to shoot a lot and want to be able to bypass significant ammo shortage bubbles.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #28

Liked 309 Times on 172 Posts

There is never enough.

Last edited by indy36; 09-17-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #29

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

Damn guys, I got to start stocking up.