Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy! - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
What the heck are you talking about? It's called thinking positive. And it's not by the hand of god that a ban won't occur. It's through the tireless efforts of 2A rights orgs and others like the NRA as well as their members like myself. I've written to my legislators more than a dozen times since this began. I am also going to a rally tomorrow in Trenton, nj. Yes I am confident that a weapons ban will not pass. I didn't say anything about my confidence regarding other legislation such as add'l background check legislation et al. That I have no idea how it will pan out. But again I feel confident that a weapons ban will not pass. And again whether there is a weapons ban or not, they're not banning ammo. So what the hell do you have to hoard it NOW?

The day YOU separate yourself from US and you think you are WE you begin chipping away at OUR solidarity and then THEY have a strong chance of winning. Since THEIR modus operandi is to divide ranks and conquer.
I gotta side with AR10 here. When you get to comfortable, and think nothing will happen is when all the pinko commies line up and strip you of the rights you thought were so well anchored in concrete. How do you think so many things that have happened here in the US in last 10 years occurred? We the people, sat back and said it could never happen. Things that we BANNED in the 1990's are not only not banned anymore, but now have laws forcing us not only to recognize them, (and I'm not talking about the AWB if you get my drift) but to tolerate them fully and if we talk poorly of them then we are charged with hate crimes! The laid back attitude got us nowhere, and the only way to keep what we have now is to push back when pushed first.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

Hit walmart every morning at 7am, that is when most of them start putting ammo and firearms out on the shelves. You will find some.
Thanks for the heads up brother. I was always trying to figure out when they do. They won't tell us. But for now I can't hoard anything. Just bought a house and need to buy alot of stuff for the house. After that though, I will be stocking back up. Its so hard not to go and shoot it all. I can never get past 500 rounds of any Cal.

spit hell fire

Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #53
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 1332

9mm. Hmm. The rational for going with 9mm was that it was the cheapest of common calibers easily suitable for SD. That one would always be able to find it on a shelf. Funny how that's worked out.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #54

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
9mm. Hmm. The rational for going with 9mm was that it was the cheapest of common calibers easily suitable for SD. That one would always be able to find it on a shelf. Funny how that's worked out.
It works just fine until everyone and their mother wants it

But I never heard "it'll always be available" I've just always heard "it's more abundantly available"

Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #55
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I know the sporting goods manager at one local Wal-Mart. Much of what they stock for guns and ammo, they order. They have stock numbers to choose from, and some managers figure out stock numbers not in the system, but can be filled by the system if they know the number. How they figure out those numbers? No idea.

Some Wal-Mart's don't sell guns, but sell ammo. Some sell ammo, but not knives. Or vice versa. It is up to the first store manager, when the store is built, and up to each store manager after that. Getting an FFL is pretty much automatic, unless the head office says no for that area, or the first manager does not want guns. It is up to him/ her.

The sporting goods manager knows ahead of time, a day or sometimes two, what guns are due in. He will bring them from the locked gun cabinet in the back somewhere at the start of his shift, somewhere around 7am. Ammo as well. He unboxes each gun, and puts it in his system. It is then, you need to be at the gun counter to snatch up a Colt AR. It won't get into the cabinet, someone will snag it while it is being checked in.

Ammo that is sought after also gets gobbled up. Sometimes by local dealers. That is what the on again, off again box limit is all about.

Dealers buy up all the ammo, show a tax number at the register, and pay no sales tax or freight. Better buys than they can order it for in times like this. So to stop dealers, the three box limit is not a all bad idea.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #56

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You want to understand the ammo shortage, just Google "government ammo purchase" and you'll be blown away by how many millions and millions of rounds Homeland Security has purchased this year. And unprecedented amount. Like a 30 year supply. And for ammo makers, guess who's contracts they must fill first? Do your own research. It is scary.

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact
Beretta 92 A1
Bersa BP9cc
CZ 75BD
Sig Sauer Pro 2022
Springfield Armory XDm 4.5
S&W M&P
Taurus 1911 SS
Walther PPX

Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #57
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine70 View Post
You want to understand the ammo shortage, just Google "government ammo purchase" and you'll be blown away by how many millions and millions of rounds Homeland Security has purchased this year. And unprecedented amount. Like a 30 year supply. And for ammo makers, guess who's contracts they must fill first? Do your own research. It is scary.
You don't even have to do that. go to the firearmtalk home page and read the article about lake city.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #58

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Very interesting read about status of guns, ammo and backorders. Don't know how credible the source is or isn't. Maybe someone can attest to that.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2013/01/update-status-of-gun-industry.html?m=1

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #59

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Yeah, I don't understand the whole stocking up on ammo thing, but I'm not one that ever looks to or purposefully plans for the future, other than 401k. I live day by day & I only ever keep enough ammo to fill my guns, unless I happen to have some leftovers from the last range session.

I guess I do usually have thousands of rounds of 22lr, but that doesn't really count, as of right now I've only got enough for my mags.

I don't blame those who do stockpile, they're just more prepared than me, so kudos to them for the foresight, I guess. I still don't care, I got what I need and what I want can wait.

I do have a distaste for the situation, and it does piss me off thinking that someone, during this trying time, might still continue to stockpile knowing how short supplies are. Seems a rather self centric thing to me, when they've already got stock, but it is what it is and soon enough either the panic will subside or all our guns will be taken and the bullets will become worthless trinkets of a time we were once free.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #60
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I think purchasing in bulk, today, for the reason of target practice, a few thousand rounds in a weekend, is ill advised.

Now is a great time to build a cache of ammo to supply yourself with ammo for when the poop hits the fan. If it never happens, and I hope it does not, ammo keeps well if you keep it dry.

Closed Thread