Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Hoarding Driving Me Crazy!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It could go on for quite awhile. Strategically, it is possible that the Dems will not bring the AR bill to the Senate floor until after the November, 2014 elections. They may well bring the background check to the floor soon and leave the AR issue until after the seats in jeopardy are past the election. So, with that hanging in the air the ammo buy up could go on for awhile.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #32

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
I'm not talking about next time. NOW I have the money so NEXT time is not a concern to me. I'm talking about this time. Ammo prices and availability might not improve. I think that they will but if they don't those of us without a stockpile are SOL.
Well...next time do what we all did...make a stock pile

Do you think everyone else should just stop buying so you can have some?

Even if an AWB comes about - ammo prices will return to normal. They're trying to ban the guns - not the ammo shot through them. (yet)
locutus Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #33

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Well...next time do what we all did...make a stock pile

Do you think everyone else should just stop buying so you can have some?

Even if an AWB comes about - ammo prices will return to normal. They're trying to ban the guns - not the ammo shot through them. (yet)
Like I already said I am not concerned with next time. If prices and availability return to normal now that I have the money I will have a stock pile.

No I do not think that everyone should just stop buying so that I could have some. I think that all of these people who do not shoot and only started buyin because of all of this bs should stop buying. I also think that the people that could afford to stockpile ammo before all of this started should should not talk down to those of us that could not afford to do so.

Like you said "yet". Even if it doesnt pass, ammo will be the next thing on the chopping block. They will either tax it out of any normal persons price range or limit saies.

I do shoot and my 1100 rounds is not gonna last long without being able to replinish it. I only ask that more veteran shooters would be more helpful in telling me where to restock instead of critizing me for not having more.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #34

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

The only handgun ammo I can find here is 38 special, 44 mag, and sometimes 45acp. No 22lr, no 380, absolutely no 9mm, no 25acp, etc. It's frigging ridiculous!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #35

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts

Ammo isn't cheap. Take 9mm. Probably averages $16 a box of 50. 1000 rounds, at that price, is $320. If you pop off 1000+ rounds a weekend, and a month is typically 4 weekends, you're using up $1280 a month in ammo. That's using, not replacing. Who can do that? There must be some rich mother-truckers on this forum. That or you bought your ammo, a semi load, in 1967 and are still using it.

I buy what I can, when I can. If a certain caliber falls below 1000 rounds I stop shooting it until it crosses 1000 again. I get unhappy if it does because it takes money to replace and I only have so much. Better for me to buy 100 or 200 rounds here and there and stock pile it up.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #36

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4

Like I already said I am not concerned with next time. If prices and availability return to normal now that I have the money I will have a stock pile.

No I do not think that everyone should just stop buying so that I could have some. I think that all of these people who do not shoot and only started buyin because of all of this bs should stop buying. I also think that the people that could afford to stockpile ammo before all of this started should should not talk down to those of us that could not afford to do so.

Like you said "yet". Even if it doesnt pass, ammo will be the next thing on the chopping block. They will either tax it out of any normal persons price range or limit saies.

I do shoot and my 1100 rounds is not gonna last long without being able to replinish it. I only ask that more veteran shooters would be more helpful in telling me where to restock instead of critizing me for not having more.
I'm not criticizing you because you don't have ammo

I'm saying it sounds silly for someone to complain that other people prepared and those people shouldn't be allowed to buy ammo

If you're interested in stocking up I use ammoseek.com

But good luck ... Online is just as dry as your LGS

Even though I'm happy with my current stockpile I still wanted more. When what I had was no longer available I started looking at rounds that were abundantly available

I found the 7.62x54r ... Bought a metric **** load ten bought a rifle that fires it (mosin nagant)

Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #37
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I try to maintain 400 rounds per caliber i need, but with the state of inventories locally as they are I can't to that and still go to the range to practice. I really sucks. I haven't been to the range in almost a month and I used to go once a week at least. Now once a month is a strain on my stock.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think Porkchop is just saying that, many of these guys have seen this before and learned to buy in times of surplus and be prepared for leans times such as now. I built what little stock I have over the last 8 months or so. Legally, this was as soon as I could do it. But I still managed about 3000 rounds of .223/5.56, 3500 rounds of .22lr, and 1500 rounds of .45

That being said, now is not a good time to stockpile while prices are high. Buy what you can at places that have reasonable prices. They can still be found, it just takes a lot more time spent searching to find. I've picked up about 1500 rounds of .22lr while they've been at 0 stock for normal prices after spending a few hours online searching. It'll take a while, but prices will stabilize and stocks will return. Even if "they" went after ammo, it would take a good deal of time to do so. Buy a few rounds, conserve a bit of cash, and when the right deal knocks on the door, stockpile.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #39

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm ok on centerfire but I got caught unprepared on 22 rimfire. I've never seen 22's run out before! Won't make that mistake again!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #40

Liked 222 Times on 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44
I'm ok on centerfire but I got caught unprepared on 22 rimfire. I've never seen 22's run out before! Won't make that mistake again!
No kidding. I have plenty on hand just from grabbing a box or two at a time over the years for all my other calibers but have been unable to find .22 for over a month until today. A buddy of mine owns an LGS and had a brick of CCI standard vel. for $39.99. He said distributers have raised prices and when he gets shipments is random at best. I hope this mess is over soon.

Closed Thread