Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ammo gouging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207driver View Post
New gun owners? Well maybe, but as I see it, it's hoarders causing the biggest problem. Why stockpile 20 or 50 thousand primers when you rarely shoot one brick per year? Those that do have a need for that quantity, now have to double their stockpile to insure they will not be shut out. Shameful.
Wait. What? Is this for real?
I don't know when I will see primers in regular quantities again. Do you?
You're implying that people who shoot more than me need the components more than I do? Seriously? Good luck selling that idea to the general populous.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

I almost given up trying to do any kind of shooting due to the "lack of or cost " of ammo. A box of 9mm PMC FMJ for 23.99 is crazy. I have but put my AR up due to 5.56 priced at 25 bucks a box for 20 rds. If this keeps up I might just sell off my guns and say the heck with it.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #13

Liked 4715 Times on 2692 Posts
Likes Given: 3731

So, those who had the common sense to stock up on ammo and components when they were plentiful, and inexpensive get to be the butt of name calling by those who were too stupid to do so.

Yeah, right!

People Like This 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5598 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsglock17 View Post
I almost given up trying to do any kind of shooting due to the "lack of or cost " of ammo. A box of 9mm PMC FMJ for 23.99 is crazy. I have but put my AR up due to 5.56 priced at 25 bucks a box for 20 rds. If this keeps up I might just sell off my guns and say the heck with it.
Try blackpowder pistols, very satisfying.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

locutus Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I understand your frustrations guys, i do, but you have to understand it's a free market. If a bunch of guys want to stockpile 50,000 units of whatever, they are free to do so. You can't get mad at those guys for doing that. I know it sucks but eventually it will die down and some of these guys/gals will be unloading some of their stash for pennies on the dollar to try and pay off the credit card bills they racked up while buying everything in sight. Just gotta be patient and wait it out.

Hell, i'll admit, i got caught with my "pants down" when this panic started too but i was still able to snag up a little slice of the mags/ammo pie for myself at reasonable prices, not gouge prices. You just have to broaden your horizons (check out gun stores/ gun websites you haven't been to before) and don't just check once, check OFTEN. BTW "email me when in stock" combined with a smart phone can save your butt. Only person who can decide how much is enough, is YOU, and obviously for a lot of guys/gals right now, it's never enough... One last thing, got a buddy looking for something and you happen to see it on the shelf? Help him out and next thing you know, he may be helping you find something you're looking for.. It worked for me, helped a buddy get some mags for his pistol and in return he helped me snag some AR mags. Just some suggestions for you guys/gals, good luck on your search.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

paul Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 180 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 46

You like the price.. you buy it. You dont like.. then move on. It's free market. And we the gun owners should have known this was coming to us. Those who been stocking ammo before the crisis.. good job!. And those who didn't and complained about the prices.. are losers!
Sorry and i don't have any intentions to offense anyone. This is just how i feel.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #17

Liked 252 Times on 172 Posts

Personally, the only reason i have been actively searching for reasonably priced ammo is due to picking up a new caliber rifle.
My birthday is on Dec 13 and i received a "new gun coupon" not knowing all hell would break loose the next day. I almost totally gave up on the idea because i knew what was happening.....and happening quick. However, i was patient and able to find the firearm and about 700 rds of ammo at pre-panic prices.
And i always look for .22lr because i try to talk the kids into shooting those instead of 7.62 or .223 .... But they dont always go for it...haha

People need to realize the ammo is still being mass produced, not going to be discontinued, and there is no need to feed the gouging frenzy going on.

Patience not panic.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #18

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am happy tosay that the ammo shortage will have no effect on my range visits, and will continue to shoot about 1K rounds per month. I have not purchased any ammo since July 2012 and don't plan on buying any in the next couple of years. I am one of those nasty stockpilers who is presently shooting .40 cal ammo that cost me less than $0.13 per round.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #19

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
...You're implying that people who shoot more than me need the components more than I do? Seriously? Good luck selling that idea to the general populous.
Oh, it's better than that. Half the good patriots here are angry that they didn't prepare and have nothing, half are angry that they are too lazy and cheap to buy what can at least be had at some price and blame others who they think owe them, and the third half are sitting pretty and ready to defend themselves from the rest of you vultures. LOL

Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default ammo gouging

Hoarding, saving up or already saved up ammo, not a darn thing wrong with any of that. Selling a box of Federal .22Lr's 525 pack that cost $19.00 a couple of months ago for $150.00 is. I don't care how it's justified, it's wrong to gouge people. Period. Call if free enterprise call it "Being prepared", call it whatever a person wants to, but it's wrong. If this gouging doesn't stop with ammo, what's going to be the next useful, needful item that's gonna be taken advantaged of? How about, let's buy up all the baseballs or every golf ball, yeah, that's it, then sell them at limited quanitites and at 700-900% markup. Let's not forget about gasoline and groceries. Those items could easily all be turned into "gouged" items.