ammo gouging
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ammo gouging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default ammo gouging

I don't believe there is an ammo shortage problem, what we're seeing is a 'greed" problem. People need to stop buying over priced ammo, period. If someone is selling .22LR Federal 525 rd bricks that normally go for $20.00 for $90.00, don't buy it. Same with any other way over priced ammo that's sold by individuals or the larger gougers like Cheaper than Dirt, don't buy it. We all stick together for a few months, the shelves will start having ammo again at the fair market value. It's wrong and unethical to be cheating other people. I've seen the same type gouging after Tornadoes, a local gas station and grocery store started gouging within minutes of the storm damage. The both almost went out of business a few days later because people stuck together.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Such a simple concept, but the fear-panicked public wont be happy until they have a stockpile of ammo no matter what the cost. My educated guess is mainly new gun owners who CANNOT find ammo. They are willing to pay double, triple in some cases. It keeps fueling the greed....people need to wake up.....ease up and be patient until the smoke clears

Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have to agree, stop buying if you don't need ammo. I know for a fact the average new gun owner is not aware that he is paying outrageous prices for ammo. One shop that I visit puts aside ammo to sell only with a gun purchase, but sells it at a premium price. A 20 rd box of Federal .380 JHP $36. I have a feeling that it will only get worse over the next year or so.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

paul Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2739 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I have to agree, stop buying if you don't need ammo. I know for a fact the average new gun owner is not aware that he is paying outrageous prices for ammo. One shop that I visit puts aside ammo to sell only with a gun purchase, but sells it at a premium price. A 20 rd box of Federal .380 JHP $36. I have a feeling that it will only get worse over the next year or so.
It's proportionately better that $70+ for a brick of 22 ammo.
Considering that the alternative is having no ammo at all for your shiny new SD pistol, $36 seems damned near reasonable. Hell, it's pretty much a buck per shot without a panic, in a lot of shops. $1.50ish per round with a significant shortage going on seems, well, restrained. If one can buy it cheaper elsewhere...
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

As long as the cost of boolits for my Mosin remain the same....i won't panic...yet.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

New gun owners? Well maybe, but as I see it, it's hoarders causing the biggest problem. Why stockpile 20 or 50 thousand primers when you rarely shoot one brick per year? Those that do have a need for that quantity, now have to double their stockpile to insure they will not be shut out. Shameful.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207driver View Post
New gun owners? Well maybe, but as I see it, it's hoarders causing the biggest problem. Why stockpile 20 or 50 thousand primers when you rarely shoot one brick per year? Those that do have a need for that quantity, now have to double their stockpile to insure they will not be shut out. Shameful.
Whrn it all goes to hell and the dollar is worth less than a 1934 deutschmark will you be able to get a pound of rice with some american greenbacks or a box of primers??

ill keep my stockpile thanks

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

beaglesam Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've decided to shoot what I've got and not buy anything for 6 months or so. If I'm at walmart and they have some 22lr. I'll buy it but I won't make a special trip for it.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I haven't bought any ammo in over a year. And it feels good too...

Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #10

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I can find everything except .22. And that's what I like to shoot most. Because its cheap. Right now my sks is the cheapest thing to shoot.