Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   ammo gouging (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/ammo-gouging-87583/)

paul 03-27-2013 07:21 PM

ammo gouging

I don't believe there is an ammo shortage problem, what we're seeing is a 'greed" problem. People need to stop buying over priced ammo, period. If someone is selling .22LR Federal 525 rd bricks that normally go for $20.00 for $90.00, don't buy it. Same with any other way over priced ammo that's sold by individuals or the larger gougers like Cheaper than Dirt, don't buy it. We all stick together for a few months, the shelves will start having ammo again at the fair market value. It's wrong and unethical to be cheating other people. I've seen the same type gouging after Tornadoes, a local gas station and grocery store started gouging within minutes of the storm damage. The both almost went out of business a few days later because people stuck together.

StainlessSteel215 03-27-2013 07:35 PM

Such a simple concept, but the fear-panicked public wont be happy until they have a stockpile of ammo no matter what the cost. My educated guess is mainly new gun owners who CANNOT find ammo. They are willing to pay double, triple in some cases. It keeps fueling the greed....people need to wake up.....ease up and be patient until the smoke clears

chuckusaret 03-27-2013 07:59 PM

I have to agree, stop buying if you don't need ammo. I know for a fact the average new gun owner is not aware that he is paying outrageous prices for ammo. One shop that I visit puts aside ammo to sell only with a gun purchase, but sells it at a premium price. A 20 rd box of Federal .380 JHP $36. I have a feeling that it will only get worse over the next year or so.

Overkill0084 03-27-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckusaret (Post 1193073)
I have to agree, stop buying if you don't need ammo. I know for a fact the average new gun owner is not aware that he is paying outrageous prices for ammo. One shop that I visit puts aside ammo to sell only with a gun purchase, but sells it at a premium price. A 20 rd box of Federal .380 JHP $36. I have a feeling that it will only get worse over the next year or so.

It's proportionately better that $70+ for a brick of 22 ammo.
Considering that the alternative is having no ammo at all for your shiny new SD pistol, $36 seems damned near reasonable. Hell, it's pretty much a buck per shot without a panic, in a lot of shops. $1.50ish per round with a significant shortage going on seems, well, restrained. If one can buy it cheaper elsewhere...

nosaj 03-27-2013 08:32 PM

As long as the cost of boolits for my Mosin remain the same....i won't panic...yet.

207driver 03-27-2013 08:45 PM

New gun owners? Well maybe, but as I see it, it's hoarders causing the biggest problem. Why stockpile 20 or 50 thousand primers when you rarely shoot one brick per year? Those that do have a need for that quantity, now have to double their stockpile to insure they will not be shut out. Shameful.

JonM 03-27-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 207driver (Post 1193136)
New gun owners? Well maybe, but as I see it, it's hoarders causing the biggest problem. Why stockpile 20 or 50 thousand primers when you rarely shoot one brick per year? Those that do have a need for that quantity, now have to double their stockpile to insure they will not be shut out. Shameful.

Whrn it all goes to hell and the dollar is worth less than a 1934 deutschmark will you be able to get a pound of rice with some american greenbacks or a box of primers??

ill keep my stockpile thanks

RUG3R44 03-27-2013 09:03 PM

I've decided to shoot what I've got and not buy anything for 6 months or so. If I'm at walmart and they have some 22lr. I'll buy it but I won't make a special trip for it.

steadyshot 03-27-2013 09:05 PM

I haven't bought any ammo in over a year. And it feels good too...:)

robertb6112 03-27-2013 09:14 PM

I can find everything except .22. And that's what I like to shoot most. Because its cheap. Right now my sks is the cheapest thing to shoot.