ammo go off in pocket

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ammo go off in pocket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ammo go off in pocket

if you had a full clip in your pocket can it hit something and cause the ammo to go off?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're going to get some posts to this question that say it is possible. Somebody is going to say that they dropped a shell/box of shells and one went off. Maybe they tossed them in the car and ,,, BANG,,, "it just went off". Somebody will point out that a bullet wouldn't shoot out, it would be more like a firecracker if the shell did in fact "go off" without being in a gun.
Yeah, all that is possible, but the odds of it happening, now that's another story. However, the odds are pretty good that the clip will fall out of your pocket and you will loose it. I wouldn't have a reasonable concern about a shell going off in my pocket.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Darn-near impossible. If it happened, you wouldn't be seriously injured, if injured at all. Hatcher did experiments around this. He wrapped various rounds (.45 ACP, .30-06) in cloth, along with a bar of soap (to simulate the body). He fired the rounds electrically. The .45 round did almost no visible damage. The .30-06 put a small dent in the soap. His take was that the .30-06 would cause a nasty bruise.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #4

Default Excellent reply, marysdad!

I agree that the possibilty of centerfire rounds "going off" in a pocket are VERY remote. Encased in a magazine? Almost impossible.

Rim fire rounds MIGHT be more prone, but in more than 40 years of shooting, hunting and fooling around with firearms, I have never had a round fire outside a weapon. Threw a .22 on the fire once ( got jammed in an old rifle and had a severly bent case ). Not very smart, but the only reaction I got was a faint "fizzle".

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I expect that by "clip" you mean a removable magazine for a handgun. ??? If so, it would be virtually impossible for anything at all to detonate a primer in that protected box.

In fact, that's still true even if you do mean a clip. Either way, the primers are covered/protected by a layer of metal, usually steel.

Last edited by 1hole; 05-25-2008 at 02:12 AM.