Ammo Failure?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Failure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default Ammo Failure?

Took my Shield to the range for the first time today. Shot great, until round #55 got stuck. Round 54 fired and ejected normally, the gun did not go fully into battery. Slid the slide back, and a case came out, no bullet, primer not hit. The bullet was stuck in the chamber.

Got the bullet out easily. So, what happened? There was unburned powder in the gun. I hope this is the right section for this. Was factory Blazer ammo.

brass.jpg   bullet.jpg   stuck-bullet.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 679 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 419

factory crimp not tight causing bullet to fall out after it was chambered, bad ammo

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Thanks, makes sense.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1093 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 594

The crimp on a 9mm is Not used to secure the bullet. Neck tension does that and the crimp is only used to remove the flare plus a thou or two more.

Even with NO crimp at all the bullet should not fall out of the case or get stuck in the barrel.

It ain't the crimp, what it is, I duno.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Bullet not seated correctly, along with a tight fit at the lands and grooves on the bullet, and the extractor pulls the case off the bullet.

That's about the only way I can conceive of that happening without the primer struck and unburned powder in the chamber.

Maybe there's a burr that is engaging the bullet keeping it from unchambering with the case? Try putting a cartridge into battery and clearing it, see if it wants to hang up or if it's smooth.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

No, the Blazer uses a plated bullet. The bullet got skwampus during the loading process at the factory. Note the shaved area. A small amount of lead/plating got forced forward of the case mouth and stuck in the throat of the chamber. QC simply did not catch it. Don't sweat it. You probably will never see anythin glike it agin in 10 years of shooting the same ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Can't help with the problem but you might want to send those pictures to the ammo mfg and see what they might have to say. Assume that is new factory ammo.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
Missouribound Likes This 
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
1911 .45ACP. . then there are others.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1898 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5722

I second the suggestion of informing the manufacturer.

If you have the end flap with the lot number, then all the better.

If the bullet was exceeding case over all length, then the round may not have fully headspaced on the rim, leaving the case head slightly protruding.
Many slides can detect the round protruding and not full release the firing mechanisms. Many internal safety mechanisms require a fully seated cartridge with the slide full seated (in battery) before the firing pin assembly can properly release the firing pin.

The force of the slide could easily press the bullet into the lands, held forward by the slight ridge of the deformed bullet. Slide Recoil spings have quite a big of force. If the force was sufficient to lodge the bullet in the lands, and overcome the neck tension during extraction, then this all makes sense.

I concur that the plated bullet was not seated properly, most likely due to an insufficient case mouth belling. Something on the line wasn't quite right.

Because of this, it would be nice to inform the manufacturer to assist in their data gathering.

While the changes are slim, A subsequent round could be chambered forcing the lodged bullet even farther. If a routine clearing was performed without watching closely, one may miss that the case was unfired, contained powder and no bullet.

Just my rambling thoughts . . Happy New Year..

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I`d take a guess and say the OAL was way off. slide came foward and pushed the bullet into the rifling preventing a complete slide closure.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #10

I sent Blazer an email, they are closed until next week for Christmas and New Years. So I would expect it to be a bit before they respond. I have the box with the other 45 rounds, and all ID info.

There are no burs visible to the naked eye, and if I take the barrel out, I can put a round in, and turn it, it falls out when you rotate the barrel.

I was kinda freaked out, never seen this type of failure. Would really suck in a self defense situation. But I don't use Blazer Brass for SD...