Ammo Exploding
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Exploding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo Exploding

If a bullet (jacketed) were to explode, without being put in a barrel, say; if you threw it up against something concrete, does the bullet have the same capability to be lethal as it did before without the forward velocity it gains from the barrel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yes it potentially can be lethal, but it will not be as lethal as being in a chamber.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:44 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This has been well researched and demonstrated. The answer is, no.

When not confined, the case will attain about 150 fps and the bullet (being heavier) a lot less. At 150 fps, the case won't even penetrate a sheet of corrugated cardboard ( I can't remember where I read about that). An excellent book that addresses this question (and a load of other fascinating info not found elsewhere) is Hatcher's Notebook, by Julian S. Hatcher. Hatcher served in the Ordnance Corps for 40 years and experimented with just about everything that you can do to a firearm. Hatcher experimented by electrically firing various cartridges (.30-06, .45 ACP., 12 GA.) while next to a bar of soap (to simulate flesh). The deepest penetration was a dent about 1/4 in. deep, which he felt would cause a bruise that would not break the skin.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 07-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When the gas is confined in the barrel it creates much a higher propellant velocity because the gas cannot expand freely and must push the bullet out to free itself. In the open it is free to spread out immediately.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2066 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 3103

My occupation is Explosive Ordnance Disposal. Over the past 48 years i have destroyed in excess of two billion rounds of small arms ammunition by burning, mostly in open pits. Sometimes the cases and bullets fly about 15 feet: Seldom do they go further than that. Steel cased ammunition makes a louder bang when it burns.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #6

Default bullet explode

this question has me puzzled. and did any one catch it no! nothing will happen unless it bonces back.he said bullet not cartridge.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default ammo exploding

A lot of less sophisticated gunners refer to ammunition as bullets. Just like the folks that refer to bullets as "heads". Lets try to nurture these neophytes and get them into the fold. I try to be as proper and descriptive as possible in dealing with the undereducated members of our society.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
My occupation is Explosive Ordnance Disposal. Over the past 48 years i have destroyed in excess of two billion rounds of small arms ammunition by burning, mostly in open pits. Sometimes the cases and bullets fly about 15 feet: Seldom do they go further than that. Steel cased ammunition makes a louder bang when it burns.
Is there any danger you'd want to "dispose" of it by sending it to me in the future? I'm going broke with ammo prices these days....

Old 08-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like that question bkt. I could use some (a lot) also!

Old 08-19-2007, 02:23 AM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I remember reading some years ago about a cop who accidentally shot a hole in the ceiling of his squadroom. He claimed that he dropped a live round when reloading, and that it detonated when it hit the floor. His commander didn't buy it...

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)