Ammo in the dryer!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo in the dryer!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2033 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

Default Ammo in the dryer!

The other day my wife called me at work to tell me that she had washed my jacket. She said that she heard a clanging around in the laundry. When she checked she found my ammo wallet with 6 357 mag hollow points in it. She found them before going into the dryer. Anyone know for sure if an electric dryer does or doesn't have enough heat to set them off?

I remember as a kid building a camp fire where we had seen empty shells on the ground. We didn't know any better. There were live ones under the dirt. It was a good 30 minutes berfore they started going off. They kept going for quite a while. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes before the stopped. The fire was still burning because we were too scared to put it out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

I think a dryer very well could have set them off, what with the heat, and static electricity. I can tell you one thing, if it did go off, you wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to face your wife when you got home

MotorG20

Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Anyone know for sure if an electric dryer does or doesn't have enough heat to set them off?
You dryer gets hot, 160-180 degrees, but not hot enough to ignite it. Handguns left in vehicle goveboxes can reach a temperature of that of a dryer or above with rounds in them and they don't go off. Most people use static dryer sheets with their clothes these days to eliminate it, so that eliminates that theory.

After being washed, most likely the powder would have been exposed to moisture. Main concern would be, if the primer was struck or hit just right while tumbling, it could ignite the primer.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
You dryer gets hot, 160-180 degrees, but not hot enough to ignite it. Handguns left in vehicle goveboxes can reach a temperature of that of a dryer or above with rounds in them and they don't go off. Most people use static dryer sheets with their clothes these days to eliminate it, so that eliminates that theory.

After being washed, most likely the powder would have been exposed to moisture. Main concern would be, if the primer was struck or hit just right while tumbling, it could ignite the primer.

Jack
Hadn't thought about the primer strike idea. My wife wouldn't be pissed. She took my jacket without asking. Just being a good woman. She's like that. I did think about the powder being wet. I disasembled them and reprimed and charged them.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Not too likely those rounds would go off...but why be a test case and on the wife's bad side?

Tom98915
NRA member

Old 02-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

Would say it would be nothing to worry about, but, there's that funny 3 letter word, and weirder things have happened.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have tumbled hundreds of rounds in the dryer (unintentionally) over the years and never had one go off in the dryer but that is not to say it could not happen. Being a firearms instructor and working the line I always end up with rounds in the pockets of my BDU’s. Sometimes I remember to take them out and sometimes I forget, sometimes Linda cleans out the pockets of my BDU’s and sometimes she doesn’t. In the end you hear this clacking in the dryer after a while and when you open the dryer you find a mess of 9mm or 40 tumbling around with the clothes. I put them in a box and shoot them later. Glasshartt can verify this.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, they shoot just fine, besides, a wound made with clean ammo is less apt to get infected. They have never gone off in the dryer. Oh, by the way, it was HIS responsibility to empty his pockets, not mine.

The ones that only went through the washer shot fine too.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

The people in this group are great. Lots of good info with out a bunch of BS. Thanks for not calling me an idiot for not being careful enough with my ammo.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #10

Well Rick, we all started at the begining.