Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/ammo-75931/)

WeeMan9194 11-08-2012 12:40 PM

Ammo

What's some opinions on Hornady Critical Duty?

Polygon 11-08-2012 10:19 PM

My opinion is that it's for law enforcement, thus the Duty. Critical defense is good enough for citizens to carry. Critical Duty is meant to be able to penetrate windshields and such. If you shoot someone through a windshield or a car door, you might have trouble explaining that in court.

locutus 11-08-2012 10:50 PM

Right.

Critical Defense is excellent SD/HD ammo.

Critical duty is really a poor choice.

WeeMan9194 11-09-2012 01:17 AM

Wouldn't it make more sense to go for the upgraded ammo. I mean at my LGS it's near the same price. Wouldn't it be smarter to get the most for the money?

Jpyle 11-09-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeMan9194 (Post 1007270)
Wouldn't it make more sense to go for the upgraded ammo. I mean at my LGS it's near the same price. Wouldn't it be smarter to get the most for the money?

Critical Duty is designed to penetrate barriers before expanding. Just my opinion but I don't want to use a round designed to go through sheet rock in my home...Critical Defense suits me just fine...carry ammo is another story entirely but Jersey doesn't allow hollow point to be carried so it's a moot point for me.

25-5 11-09-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

Critical Duty is designed to penetrate barriers before expanding. Just my opinion but I don't want to use a round designed to go through sheet rock in my home...Critical Defense suits me just fine...carry ammo is another story entirely but Jersey doesn't allow hollow point to be carried so it's a moot point for me.

Hate to tell you but just about anything goes through sheet rock. Even the metal studs won't stop a .45. Hollow doors in interior rooms will not stop a slug. Get a plan, know where your family is, and be sure of your target and beyond.

utf59 11-09-2012 08:47 PM

They are also designed for different sizes of guns. Critical Defense is designed for short-barreled pistols frequently used for personal protection, while Critical Duty is designed for full-size pistols.

Here's Hornady's explanation.

WeeMan9194 11-10-2012 02:59 PM

Hey utf59. I'm altiile newer to owning handguns. What inch barrel would be considered too short for optimal performance o this bullet?

utf59 11-11-2012 02:26 AM

I'm guessing, but I'd say Critical Defense is best in a 3" barrel. That's what a lot of short auto pistols have, and I believe that's what was mentioned in a profile of this ammo on TV (American Rifleman, I believe). I also think the Critical Duty was optimized for a 5" barrel, but again, I'm guessing/trying to remember what was on TV.

Sorry I can't be more help.

locutus 11-12-2012 03:16 PM

4 inch is a good compromise. I prefer a 6 inch barrel, but a 4 inch is a helluva lot better than a 2 inch.

When I need to conceal a 6 inch barrel gun, I wear a shoulder holster.