Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > American Rifleman article on ammo shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't know, I have a couple! And if I have to live without shooting a ton of rounds for a few months to help availability! I'm willing to do that! But that's just me!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have a lot of .22 LR and .22 Mag firearms and they are my favorites to shoot! I am a retired LEO and older now and shooting other calibers are a pain...LITERALLY! When I find .22 ammo anymore I'm like a kid in a candy store! All of the stores that I shop that carry ammo in my area are limiting the number of boxes that you can purchase, so when they have an order come in, it's available to more people...but it still goes in the blink of an eye! Many people have made a lot of money by buying up all they can and re-selling it at the "gorge" price! Unfortunately, lots of people have bought it from them and it's one big circle. I refuse to buy it above a certain price. Thankfully, I had stored up on quite a bit before all of this craziness started so I still have rounds to shoot, but I am more sparing with it these days. I just hope things will get back to normal before long. I'm afraid that prices will never be where they used to be. Oh well...so far my .177 pellets are still plentiful! Of course, the anti-gunners and EPA are starting to come after those too!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #13

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Walmart, in my area generally has 40, 45, and sometimes 357mag of all different sizes, prices, bullet weight! But you rarely see 9mm or 22lr!

Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The machinery that produces centerfire ammo can be converted to make a variety of centerfire calibers. They can turn out MILLIONS of rounds of the popular calibers by running several machines, making 9mm for instance, and up the production numbers. The machinery that produces rimfire ammo is ONLY for rimfire ammo. Difficult to increase production w/o spending major $ on new machines.

Evidence of this centerfire issue is not-so-popular calibers. Have you looked for .44-40, .38-40, .380 ACP, .32 ACP, or .480 Ruger lately? Forget it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The machinery that produces centerfire ammo can be converted to make a variety of centerfire calibers. They can turn out MILLIONS of rounds of the popular calibers by running several machines, making 9mm for instance, and up the production numbers. The machinery that produces rimfire ammo is ONLY for rimfire ammo. Difficult to increase production w/o spending major $ on new machines.

Evidence of this centerfire issue is not-so-popular calibers. Have you looked for .44-40, .38-40, .380 ACP, .32 ACP, or .480 Ruger lately? Forget it.
The local walmart has both 380, and 32 short - they even have 32 longs. Rifle ammo other than 223 is spotty.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #16

Likes Given: 6

I am not sure abut 22 caliber but have seen 9 and 40 stocked more, although my local Gander Mt. still likes to raise the price to $27/ 50 rnd box around their "sale" times.
The AR article graphs show that DHS has been buying vast amounts of ammo for years, it is not just a conspiracy this last year or so.
I have also heard on a couple podcasts that some of the perceived shortages can come from the fact that most ammo manufacturers make "runs" of ammo by caliber, so one month you might have the local shelves stocked with 45cal and then maybe 2-3 weeks later stocked with 9mm or 40 cal and no 45cal etc..
It also makes sense that the glut of firearm, ammo and reloading equipment hit manufactures by storm, but again I now see more and more powder, primers, bullets, etc. more plentiful and cheaper.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #17

Liked 666 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
So if we all continue to buy more than we need, when we get the opportunity. How does that help the problem?? Doesn't that contribute to the problem? The only way to help the problem is not to buy any at all!! If it was an ideal SD round, I wouldn't suggest this! But 22 is typically used for range and hunting small game! If you must hunt for food, than buy all you need! Practice at the range with another caliber for awhile! Let the production catch up with the demand! Am I wrong?? If so, please correct me!
While in theory I can agree... What does my 12 year old shoot at the range?.. Other than his 20 gauge... and he can only shoot that for long till his shoulder tells him to quit.... and the old 38 pistol has a limited range.

The good news is I'm scored 350 rounds+ at a pop ceveral times over the past 6 months... so it looks like the manufactures are slowly catching up.... That is if some greedy bastard(s) don't but up everything as soon as it hits the shelves.