american ammo vs european ammo 40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > american ammo vs european ammo 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default american ammo vs european ammo 40

I was just wondering who thinks european ammo is a better value than american ammo? I been shooting PPU and S&B and it is my personal opinion that these are better than common names such as winchester, ae, speer, and blazer. even the cheap ppu fmj seem better put together than the hornady, winchester, and federal. i was just wondering how others felt about the subject. when i say better i mean feed reliability, accuracy, lower recoil, cleanliness, less nicks on the casing, well put together, and less instances of duds. i'm not including underwood, double tap, or buffalo bore because those are held to different specifications/standards. american bullets cost more and i was wondering what others thought concerning this subject.

Last edited by versatile; 04-20-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I am still fairly new to handguns but have purchased PPU, Winchester, PMC, American Eagle, and herters....mine seEMS to eat everything...though Herters had a couple FTF's and a couple of cycling issues with American Eagle. I like the PPU JHP but will replace with american eventually. I buyAmerican first...always!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I shoot what's cleanest, most reliable and accurate. These companies better start cheapening their costs and raising standards or people will go elsewhere. Would you pay more to support Amrerican made?

Last edited by versatile; 04-20-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just saw the ballistics/gel test on youtube and america is better. i guess you get what you pay for. it's still really nice target ammo. i'll make it #5 for security to blast through a wall if need be. i seed them in the magazine as follows 1. underwood xtp jhp 2. underwood gd jhp 3. winchester pdx1 4. hornady critical duty 5. ppu fmj 6. federal premium....repeat twice. on the underwoods and winchester repeat 3 times.

Last edited by versatile; 04-20-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

The American makers have suffered from skyrocketing demand. They have ramped up production to war time standards. They have faltered a bit from new staff who do not have the same experience as the "old" staff. They will get up to speed (at least most. I'm not so sure about Big Green) as the employees gain experience.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

versatile Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
1. underwood xtp jhp 2. underwood gd jhp 3. winchester pdx1 4. hornady critical duty 5. ppu fmj 6. federal premium....repeat twice. on the underwoods and winchester repeat 3 times.
Versatile, has anyone talked to you about that each different brand of ammo will go to different points of impact? Handguns are funny, you need to shoot each brand to see what your gun will shoot the most accurate, then only use that one brand. If you are going to use it for selfdefense, you need to put each bullet in the same place. While it seems neat to load various brands to give better puch, it is more important that each bullet finds it's mark. A fast miss is still a miss.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 04-20-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

For .40, I us Czech and German ammo all the time for my USP. No problems with either ball or hollow point ammo. Right now, I am using Sellier and Bellot (Czech) for target practice, but it is also great for the field and home. I have used steel case Russian ammo when money is tight, but I have had one FTF, which bothered me. I actually use MagTech (US) hollow points for carrying though. Ammo from the West is in general very good, plus we must include the Eastern Czech companies.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Too many differences across all types of ammo to say one is better than the other

Your gun will tell you what it likes, go with that.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile View Post
I shoot what's cleanest, most reliable and accurate. These companies better start cheapening their costs and raising standards or people will go elsewhere. Would you pay more to support Amrerican made?
In general, the answer is yes. I am still learning what is American made and what is not. Right now, as I have very little personal supply, I buy what is reasonable and in stock...but once this all goes back to normal..I will buy American....Winchester and American Eagle are fine fmj for my use and JHP... I will ultimately spend the additional money for good, American made ammo.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
Too many differences across all types of ammo to say one is better than the other

Your gun will tell you what it likes, go with that.
I will admit that I am still learning with my gun...in this environment..it has been impossible for me to stock too much of any one brand...currently I have about 500 total rounds of various brands (and have just eclipsed 500 through the gun) and all of them seem to shoot similarly, to me. As I said, still learning. I figure I will hone in more once I start reloading in a few months.

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton