Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   american ammo vs european ammo 40 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/american-ammo-vs-european-ammo-40-a-89165/)

versatile 04-19-2013 09:12 PM

american ammo vs european ammo 40

I was just wondering who thinks european ammo is a better value than american ammo? I been shooting PPU and S&B and it is my personal opinion that these are better than common names such as winchester, ae, speer, and blazer. even the cheap ppu fmj seem better put together than the hornady, winchester, and federal. i was just wondering how others felt about the subject. when i say better i mean feed reliability, accuracy, lower recoil, cleanliness, less nicks on the casing, well put together, and less instances of duds. i'm not including underwood, double tap, or buffalo bore because those are held to different specifications/standards. american bullets cost more and i was wondering what others thought concerning this subject.

apwvsd40ve 04-20-2013 01:51 AM

I am still fairly new to handguns but have purchased PPU, Winchester, PMC, American Eagle, and herters....mine seEMS to eat everything...though Herters had a couple FTF's and a couple of cycling issues with American Eagle. I like the PPU JHP but will replace with american eventually. I buyAmerican first...always!

versatile 04-20-2013 01:58 AM

I shoot what's cleanest, most reliable and accurate. These companies better start cheapening their costs and raising standards or people will go elsewhere. Would you pay more to support Amrerican made?

versatile 04-20-2013 02:09 AM

I just saw the ballistics/gel test on youtube and america is better. i guess you get what you pay for. it's still really nice target ammo. i'll make it #5 for security to blast through a wall if need be. i seed them in the magazine as follows 1. underwood xtp jhp 2. underwood gd jhp 3. winchester pdx1 4. hornady critical duty 5. ppu fmj 6. federal premium....repeat twice. on the underwoods and winchester repeat 3 times.

robocop10mm 04-20-2013 02:59 AM

The American makers have suffered from skyrocketing demand. They have ramped up production to war time standards. They have faltered a bit from new staff who do not have the same experience as the "old" staff. They will get up to speed (at least most. I'm not so sure about Big Green) as the employees gain experience.

bigjim 04-20-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

1. underwood xtp jhp 2. underwood gd jhp 3. winchester pdx1 4. hornady critical duty 5. ppu fmj 6. federal premium....repeat twice. on the underwoods and winchester repeat 3 times.
Versatile, has anyone talked to you about that each different brand of ammo will go to different points of impact? Handguns are funny, you need to shoot each brand to see what your gun will shoot the most accurate, then only use that one brand. If you are going to use it for selfdefense, you need to put each bullet in the same place. While it seems neat to load various brands to give better puch, it is more important that each bullet finds it's mark. A fast miss is still a miss.

Jim

Jagermeister 04-20-2013 09:00 AM

For .40, I us Czech and German ammo all the time for my USP. No problems with either ball or hollow point ammo. Right now, I am using Sellier and Bellot (Czech) for target practice, but it is also great for the field and home. I have used steel case Russian ammo when money is tight, but I have had one FTF, which bothered me. I actually use MagTech (US) hollow points for carrying though. Ammo from the West is in general very good, plus we must include the Eastern Czech companies.

lfcshooter 04-20-2013 09:37 AM

Too many differences across all types of ammo to say one is better than the other

Your gun will tell you what it likes, go with that.

apwvsd40ve 04-20-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versatile (Post 1220151)
I shoot what's cleanest, most reliable and accurate. These companies better start cheapening their costs and raising standards or people will go elsewhere. Would you pay more to support Amrerican made?

In general, the answer is yes. I am still learning what is American made and what is not. Right now, as I have very little personal supply, I buy what is reasonable and in stock...but once this all goes back to normal..I will buy American....Winchester and American Eagle are fine fmj for my use and JHP... I will ultimately spend the additional money for good, American made ammo.

apwvsd40ve 04-20-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfcshooter (Post 1220405)
Too many differences across all types of ammo to say one is better than the other

Your gun will tell you what it likes, go with that.

I will admit that I am still learning with my gun...in this environment..it has been impossible for me to stock too much of any one brand...currently I have about 500 total rounds of various brands (and have just eclipsed 500 through the gun) and all of them seem to shoot similarly, to me. As I said, still learning. I figure I will hone in more once I start reloading in a few months.