All set up...now what?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > All set up...now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default All set up...now what?

I have my new Lee turret press all set up. I read the ABC's of Reloading as well as the Lee book. Lyman 49 is on the way....
Feeling overwhelmed by bullet & powder issues/option! Each source with different choices doesn't help.
Say I want to reload indoor target 9mm with lower recoil - am I right to consider heavy lead wadcutters? Do I figure out which powder I can get first or which bullet?
Or, am I over thinking?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8708 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

The choice of powder will come from what bulllet you want to shoot- at what speed- or vice versa.

Would suggest you look over the available bullets, and see which powder can be used for the largest number of bullet weights. Obviously, if your 9mm is a Glock, leave the lead bullets alone (octagonal rifling) Very few auto pistols will cycle wadcutters- semi wadcutter at best. in 9mm Parabellum, the "truncated cone" bullet seems to feed well.

For now, would stick with around 115 gr bullets, start at the lowest load with the chosen powder for that bullet, and work up until you find the load that cycles your pistol 100.0000% of the time, and gives you best accuracy.

And while there ARE other powders, I seem to keep going back to Bullseye and Unique for pistol loads. There are a LOT of recipes for different calibers that seem to start with one of those two.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Mr 476,

I agree with c3shooter's suggestions.

Although I prefer 231/HP38. My brother's Sig does well with 122 TCFP (lead) over 4 grains of 231 for 1032fps. These are stiffer loads to approximate the crap stuff he has to carry at work.
I know many if not most don't like lead in a glock (I don't like glocks) but a good bud has a glock in 40cal and it eats my 140 grain lead loads like candy with no problems (something I didn't think glocks could do). So, don't rule anything out for sure. Try them some time down the line.

My loads are safe in my weapons as I load them. Always defer to known and trusted loading data from know sources.

Always error on the side of safety.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ruby476, just my opinion here but I think heavy cast wadcutters are a PITA. They're dirty, sticky and lead your barrel. Plus shooting squib loads are totally different from shooting regular loads. I thought I was going to save some money and shoot 38's in my .357 mag. What a mistake. Lead ring in the cylinder chambers and lead in the bore. Then when I shoot mag loads it kicked a lot more and the empty cases didn't want to come out.

In my S&W 59 I shoot 4.6gr of Win 231. Hornady XTP 9mm 115gr JHP, the primer is CCI-500. That is not a hot load and functions great.

REMEMBER!!! Small volume cases like your 9mm hold very little powder. Because of this the difference of 1 or even 1/10 grain can be HUGE and DANGEROUS. Get a GOOD scale and weigh everything until you get more experience. Go to powder manufacturer's website and check their load data.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308
REMEMBER!!! Small volume cases like your 9mm hold very little powder. Because of this the difference of 1 or even 1/10 grain can be HUGE and DANGEROUS. Get a GOOD scale and weigh everything until you get more experience. Go to powder manufacturer's website and check their load data.
I have not reloaded yet for my 9mm for exactly that reason. I started my reloading with my .45 which is much more forgiving, IMHO. I will do 9mm eventually, but moving to .38 special/.357 mag for my next cartridges.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Ruby, I've reloaded and fired a bit of 9mm but I'm not a fan but so I'm no 'expert' in it but it seems most people are most happy with plated bullets from a small maker like Berry's. Plated bullets are cleaner than lead and much less costly than any jacketed stuff. You don't want to buy full wad cutters for an auto loader, they aren't likely to feed well; get a round nose, cone or truncated cone profile instead. Normal weight for caliber bullets (110 to 120 gr.) will give good accuracy and reliable functioning in your autoloader.

Use modest charges of a 'fast' (for caliber) powder; the velocity and already modest recoil will be will be even more modest. Pick the powder from your manual, first find what gives the highest velocity for your chosen bullet weight and then choose a powder that's one or two steps faster. Don't try to reduce loads much from the top or you may not generate enough recoil power to cycle your pistol.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. I do have two scales - one small digital & the Lee beam scale. My only reloadable handgun caliber is 9mm. 45 is in the future. I also shoot .223/.30-30/.308 rifle so will ultimately reload them as well.

I took the Lyman #49 to a local shop and spent some time pouring over the charts to cross-reference his stock. Came away with 50 rounds new brass, Winchester 231, proper primers & some 115gr bullets.

Plan on going nice & slow - careful too! Will definitely start with minimum recommended loads!