Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > All the Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Look cp.. When you start trash talk'n other folks products, you get what you give. Sorry you had such bad luck with Lee. I really could care less what you use or BillyBob for that matter. But when you start posturing and slamming other folks gear saying it's "junk", well, It aint gonna end pretty.

Now lets go beyond this.. What say ya? I'll stop piss'n on your tree if you stop piss'n on mine.

P.S. No were did I talk down to anyone in this thread. Nor did I trash anyones choice in gear. You and BillyBob took off on that rant.

Last edited by RCHanlin; 11-20-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Let's see. I have presses from Dillon and RCBS, a Lyman lubri-sizer, a MEC shotgun loader, dies from Dillon, Lee, RCBS and Lyman, Bullet moulds from RCBS, Lyman and Lee, H&I sizer dies from Lyman and RCBS, I use cases from Remington, Federal, Winchester, PMC, Hornaday, Lapua, Norma, Lake City, Twin City Arsenal, Starline, HMC, Speer and various other foreign and domestic makers. I have used bullets from pretty much every maker except RWS. I have used powders from Alliant, Hercules, Winchester, IMR, Dupont and Hodgdon. I have used primers from everyone except Wolf.

I have had successes and failures in nearly every category. IMHO Dillon, Hornaday, RCBS and Lyman are top shelf products (generally). Lee makes niche products with some degree of quality. Their dies work fine in every application I have used. Their bullet moulds work pretty well, but are more prone to damage because they are aluminum. The handles are more cheaply made. I have broken several handles for 6 cavity moulds. Lee DID NOT stand behind them and I had to buy replacements. Dillon never ceases to amaze me at the way they stand behind their product. Lyman has replaced several lead furnaces and case polishers for me over the years. RCBS has never scoffed at replacing a single part.

GETTING PERSONAL IN YOUR POSTS WILL NO DOUBT LEAD TO BAD THINGS!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #33

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
We must be.

BillyBob, I started reloading almost 29 years ago with an RCBS Rockchucker press and a die set for a M77 Ruger in 220 swift. Since that time I have accumulated dies and reloaded ammunition for almost every round you can think of short of wildcats and the 50 BMG. I do not profess to be a pro. My dies mostly come from Lee and RCBS. I have experienced only one failure and that was a resizing die for the S&W 500 Magnum. -------------The carbon steel insert fractured-------------------. I sent the die back and recieved a replacement with no issues what so ever.

I will never promote one product over another but will just tell you what has worked for me. I have gotten nothing but outstanding performance from my Lee equipment. Have I simply been one of the lucky few? I think not. More likely others have had bad experiences and cannot go past that.

I understand why you and others so adimently stand by your Dillons... If I'd spent the sort of money ya'll did, I'd be justifying it every chance I got also.

Lastlly: I didn't understand your comment concerning the sub-moa pistol ammo. Do they not allow hunting with revolvers in your state? BillyBob, there is much more to reloading than just who can chunk out the most rounds or who's gear is better.. I can assure you that I can drive a nail just as well with my $100 hammer as you can with your $1000 one. The devils in the details (as they say) You take your time and do it right, you'll get the same results every time.

Cheers
"Carbon Steel Insert" ???????????????? Try CARBIDE..
Go Blue..................................

Jim.....

Old 11-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #34

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Look cp.. When you start trash talk'n other folks products, you get what you give.
I never said yours or anyone elses reloading equipment is trash. I simply said Lee products are junk. I then gave valid reason and first hand knowladge I have of why I feel that way.

You are the one that said and I quote
Quote:
I understand why you and others so adimently stand by your Dillons... If I'd spent the sort of money ya'll did, I'd be justifying it every chance I got also.
Meaning to me that I have to justify my purchase of a dillon to some nameless faceless interweb tough guy. You like lee I don't so what. You are saying I talk good about dillon because it cost a lot of money. No I talk good about dillon because 1. they stand behind their product (Unlike others) 2. they make quality equipment. 3. I like Dillon products.

Is dillon expensive yes so is BMW, Volvo, and many others, so is Snap-on, Mac, Matco tools. I have done things to Snap on tools that would destroy lesser hand tools. Do I buy them NO because I can't justify the cost. I buy the next best thing in my eyes Craftsman.

I don't buy stuff based on price when it comes to something that will last for my life time. I buy based on quality and word of mouth. I did a lot of research before making my purchase and price was dead last on the list.

You came in to OUR house and started trying to mark your territory. Not a good way to start in my eyes.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
"Carbon Steel Insert" ???????????????? Try CARBIDE..
Go Blue..................................

Jim.....
OOPS You are correct .. (jeez)

Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #36

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
We must be.

BillyBob, I started reloading almost 29 years ago with an RCBS Rockchucker press and a die set for a M77 Ruger in 220 swift. Since that time I have accumulated dies and reloaded ammunition for almost every round you can think of short of wildcats and the 50 BMG. I do not profess to be a pro. My dies mostly come from Lee and RCBS. I have experienced only one failure and that was a resizing die for the S&W 500 Magnum. The carbon steel insert fractured. I sent the die back and recieved a replacement with no issues what so ever.

I will never promote one product over another but will just tell you what has worked for me. I have gotten nothing but outstanding performance from my Lee equipment. Have I simply been one of the lucky few? I think not. More likely others have had bad experiences and cannot go past that.

Lastlly: I didn't understand your comment concerning the sub-moa pistol ammo. Do they not allow hunting with revolvers in your state? BillyBob, there is much more to reloading than just who can chunk out the most rounds or who's gear is better.. I can assure you that I can drive a nail just as well with my $100 hammer as you can with your $1000 one. The devils in the details (as they say) You take your time and do it right, you'll get the same results every time.

Cheers
We have more in common than not. I too started with a RockChucker, it sits on the right side of my load bench. My RL550 sits on the left side of my bench. My RCBS tools do all of my rifle loads, and a few of my handgun loads. My Dillon does all of my common(.38/.357,9MM,.45acp). I do use Lee Factory Crimp Dies on my semi-auto loads. Hell, I even have/use Lee dies when I load .40 S&W=a caliber that I do not shoot, but friends do. I have replaced my RCBS tooling as I could with Dillon on the common handgun calibers+have very good results. Yes I still use the other brands, but as I can afford I have UPGRADED to Dillon equipt. And yes, in Indiana, I do handgun deer hunt with a Ruger SuperRed Hawk, in .44mag. (loaded with RCBS tools, by the way) Welcome to FireArms Talk Forum, and good luck to you in our sport.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #37

All of this started because I was simply trying to give the thread starter other alternatives. I went as far as to say that no brand is better than the other "hands down" ..

Not everyone uses the same good judgment or restraint when it comes to buying gear for the first time as cp has. Some "think" that the most expensive is always the best. That is simply NOT TRUE "ALL" the time. This is not the only forum that I subscribe to or have subscribed to over the years and not the only one that I have financially supported (as you can see that I now do this one). I mention that because this argument over gear is an old one.

I hate for anyone to go out and drop a large sum of money only to get frustrated and drop out. You all are correct that Lee fits a niche.. That niche serves us several ways one of which is to give a new reloader an easy economical way into the reloading hobby. Another purpose they serve is for folks like me that reload for over 2 dozen cartridge types.

I've got a friend that swears by Dillon. I fully admit they are an outstanding product and they have a kick butt catalogue. BUT, for me to get set up with Dillon, it would have cost me well over a grand. I just could not afford that at the time. Now I've got to much invested in the other equipment to switch.

If all I did was a few pistol and rifle types, I would probably also be "Going Blue" but for now and the forseable future, I am all red.

BTW, My first car was a 1968 VW but I have always dreamed of a Lamborgini

Cheers

Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just another word in favor of Dillon. I WAS going to be reloading about 500 rounds of 9mm today, but as I was setting up the new RL-550B and switching from .45 ACP to 9 mm for the first time, I could not get the auto powder measure to functon.

I was using my original 9mm kit from my old (1984) RL-450.

As it turns out, Dillon had redesigned the powder funnel (the belling device that fits inside the powder die and actuates the auto powder measure) when Dillon went to the auto powder measure system. Therefore my old funnel (for the RL-450 manual powder measure) would not work in the RL-550B set-up. All it took was a 5 minute phone call to Dillon this morning, and a new powder funnel is in the mail - FREE.

A few months ago when I was contemplating dragging the old RL-450 out of storage and using it again I noticed that the plastic powder storage tube for the powder measure had gotten broken while boxed up in storage. I called Dillon to see if I could purchase a replacement and they sent a new one - for FREE.

First class equipment and first class service.

BTW, as I could not re-load the 9mm on the 550 until I get the new powder funnel, I did get the old 450 set up and loaded about 60 rounds of .223.

TXnorton