All the Equipment - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > All the Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started reloading around the same time I started collecting. It just made sense to me to do that. Everything that I purchased was from Lee. In my opinion, it's the best bang for the buck. I know there are a lot of folks who will give advice on which press is better mostly along the lines of red versus blue (you long timers know what brands I speak of).. But, EVERY press has it's good points and it's bad points and none are better than the other hands down.

Simple items to have on hand (and again not the most expensive) is a good beam scale: simple and reliable, good quality caliper (digital is fine) and good case length gages (Lee brand is outstanding and inexpensive). I have an 18volt cordless drill that I use to trim my cases "when needed" and by that I mean, if the cases are still within the required limits in length, they do not always require trimming prior to reloading. Case in point, how many trim before reloading on a progressive rig??

Use common sense and be safe! That first round could be your last if you are not mindful of safety.

I also buy all of my dies from Lee (not a paid spokesman of theirs btw) they are made well and have a great warranty. Don;t skimp and go ahead and get the better sets of pistol dies (carbon steel inserts). Rifle dies will all be standard steel and will require lubing of the case before resizing and what not.

Reloading should be fun and not a money pit of gear you'll not really need to have.

Cheers

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Money Pit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
I started reloading around the same time I started collecting. It just made sense to me to do that. Everything that I purchased was from Lee. In my opinion, it's the best bang for the buck. I know there are a lot of folks who will give advice on which press is better mostly along the lines of red versus blue (you long timers know what brands I speak of).. But, EVERY press has it's good points and it's bad points and none are better than the other hands down.

Simple items to have on hand (and again not the most expensive) is a good beam scale: simple and reliable, good quality caliper (digital is fine) and good case length gages (Lee brand is outstanding and inexpensive). I have an 18volt cordless drill that I use to trim my cases "when needed" and by that I mean, if the cases are still within the required limits in length, they do not always require trimming prior to reloading. Case in point, how many trim before reloading on a progressive rig??

Use common sense and be safe! That first round could be your last if you are not mindful of safety.

I also buy all of my dies from Lee (not a paid spokesman of theirs btw) they are made well and have a great warranty. Don;t skimp and go ahead and get the better sets of pistol dies (carbon steel inserts). Rifle dies will all be standard steel and will require lubing of the case before resizing and what not.

Reloading should be fun and not a money pit of gear you'll not really need to have.

Cheers
Reloading is also fun with Top Quality tools/equip. Lee makes reloading tools that fit into an economic niche. Many of the others (Blue especially) make higher quality tools, that usually work better, and produce (sometimes) better quality of reloads. I have most all brands of hand loading tools, including some Lee. Each has it's own use. You may not be a spokesman for Lee products, but I AM a spokesman for Dillon Precision Products,Inc. They ARE the best made tools for hand loading PISTOL ammo around=bar NONE. They have the BEST customer service around=bar NONE. This is a fact proven by me/to me, during the course of almost 40 years of hand loading rifle and pistol ammo. YES, you can pay less for these tools, but NO you will not get better tools from others, when compared head to head, on any of the equip. that they sell.==OK Lee people---start the flame!!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Reloading is also fun with Top Quality tools/equip. Lee makes reloading tools that fit into an economic niche. Many of the others (Blue especially) make higher quality tools, that usually work better, and produce (sometimes) better quality of reloads. I have most all brands of hand loading tools, including some Lee. Each has it's own use. You may not be a spokesman for Lee products, but I AM a spokesman for Dillon Precision Products,Inc. They ARE the best made tools for hand loading PISTOL ammo around=bar NONE. They have the BEST customer service around=bar NONE. This is a fact proven by me/to me, during the course of almost 40 years of hand loading rifle and pistol ammo. YES, you can pay less for these tools, but NO you will not get better tools from others, when compared head to head, on any of the equip. that they sell.==OK Lee people---start the flame!!!
OMG I wondered how long it would take for the blue guys to chime in. K look, Dillon makes good gear no doubt. But they are no better simply because they are the most expensive. I would stack RCBS and Hornady up with Dillon as well as Lee.

I would also stack my target loads done on my Lee turret press to your Dillon loads any day of the week. I've loaded for both pistol and rifle for friends that have produced sub moa groupings. It is NOT the gear that prduces the round it is the reloader themselves that produces that kind of qualiy. I cannot meet your time spent loading but I can damn sure meet your quality round for round ...

FLAME ON ..!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

my short list of necessity:
Press
Dies
extra decap pin
wrenches for the dies
shell loading tray
loading bin or box for finished and unfinished cases
tumbler
digital caliper (much easier and quicker than dial. especially useful ifyour loading magnum rounds to check wall thickness over time)
digital scale (can use regular scale but digital is much faster easy to double check entire batches for double charged or no charged rounds)
case lube
powder measure
*Powder trickle (handy for accuracy loading but not needed)
bullet puller
loading manual(s) (i prefer more than one publisher)
soda can with a little water ( handy for dunking unknown unfired primers or spilt powder)
small whisk broom and dustpan for cleanup
bright light
sturdy loading bench/work area that is in a low traffic low interruption area

Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #25

Default RCH. You have got me beat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
OMG I wondered how long it would take for the blue guys to chime in. K look, Dillon makes good gear no doubt. But they are no better simply because they are the most expensive. I would stack RCBS and Hornady up with Dillon as well as Lee.

I would also stack my target loads done on my Lee turret press to your Dillon loads any day of the week. I've loaded for both pistol and rifle for friends that have produced sub moa groupings. It is NOT the gear that prduces the round it is the reloader themselves that produces that kind of qualiy. I cannot meet your time spent loading but I can damn sure meet your quality round for round ...

FLAME ON ..!!!
Rc, you have me BEAT!! I can not produce pistol loads "that have produced sub moa groupings" You must really be GOOD!! I'll watch your post, and maybe SOME DAY I'll be that good!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #26

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I didn't buy a Dillon because it was costly. I bought a dillon because 1. It just works. 2. NO BS warranty. 3. That is what I wanted.

Hornady and RCBS make high end quality products and both will stand behind their product almost as good as dillon.

We can say the same thing about Lee guys. Lee presses work just as good as the other "If you tinker with them".

I am sorry I have said it before and I will say it again. The few lee products I have owned were pure JUNK nothing more. I had a set of Lee shell holders that 80% of my brass wouldn't fit in unless I hit them in and out with a hammer. I had the lee priming tool and it lasted 3 maybe 4 rounds before snapping in half. The entire thing snapped in half. I had a Lee universal decapping die it lasted 50 rounds before snapping in half. My brother had a lee classic cast press and loading 222 rounds it snapped in half. Not a single thing Lee that has ever came across my bench worked right or lasted it was all wasted money. I also have an RCBS powder measure that is on it's 3 owner and was rebuild once by RCBS. I called Lee about thier products and they said it was misuse and didn't even offer to sell me a replacement. Hornady, RCBS, Dillon all will send you parts or replace a product if it breaks.

I will recomend Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forester, MEC, and deep dried dog turds before I would ever say buy a Lee. It is JUNK all of it.

Last edited by cpttango30; 11-20-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #27

Default Thanks Tango!!

Thanks tango for the great report on Lee products. It seems like others are getting the quality Lee tools that we are not getting??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Quality Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Thanks tango for the great report on Lee products. It seems like others are getting the quality Lee tools that we are not getting??

We must be.

BillyBob, I started reloading almost 29 years ago with an RCBS Rockchucker press and a die set for a M77 Ruger in 220 swift. Since that time I have accumulated dies and reloaded ammunition for almost every round you can think of short of wildcats and the 50 BMG. I do not profess to be a pro. My dies mostly come from Lee and RCBS. I have experienced only one failure and that was a resizing die for the S&W 500 Magnum. The carbon steel insert fractured. I sent the die back and recieved a replacement with no issues what so ever.

I will never promote one product over another but will just tell you what has worked for me. I have gotten nothing but outstanding performance from my Lee equipment. Have I simply been one of the lucky few? I think not. More likely others have had bad experiences and cannot go past that.

I understand why you and others so adimently stand by your Dillons... If I'd spent the sort of money ya'll did, I'd be justifying it every chance I got also.

Lastlly: I didn't understand your comment concerning the sub-moa pistol ammo. Do they not allow hunting with revolvers in your state? BillyBob, there is much more to reloading than just who can chunk out the most rounds or who's gear is better.. I can assure you that I can drive a nail just as well with my $100 hammer as you can with your $1000 one. The devils in the details (as they say) You take your time and do it right, you'll get the same results every time.

Cheers

Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default New RL-550B

Just fired up my new Dillion RL-550B, and loaded up 300 rounds of .45 ACP yesterday afternoon. I took it a bit slow as I was getting used to the machine. But WOW, what a reallly nice piece of equipment. I'll be catching up on around 500 rounds of 9mm today. I took the day off from work today to catch up on some overdue outside yard chores, but it is now raining, so I have to find something to do inside... hate it when that happens.

I have the full change out kit (toolhead and powder measure, ect.) for the .45ACP and the 9mm so caliber change out is a really easy and quick process.

My next goal is re-commissioining my old RL-450B from when I put it in storage in 1991. I intend to set it up for .223 only, as caliber changes on the 450 did take a bit of time and adjustment.

The old RCBS JR will remain the tool of choice for all other rifle and pistol calibers as they generally do not get the higher volume.

TXnorton

Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #30

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Again I am not sure if it is hard to read or what. I don't stand behind my dillon because it cost $300 I stand behind it because it is a well built high quality product.

I didn't have to have the dillon my wife said pick the press you want and for what I do and what I wanted the dillon 550B was a bargain. I didn't want the auto index of the 650 or the lee or the hornady L-N-L. I talked to people that have used lee products I used lee products and when the one guy who had been reloading since the late 50's said he purchased 1 lee press and it took him 3 months to get it close to running smooth and he would never buy another I valued his review and the products I had used or tried to use.

Sorry I don't like Lee reloading products. You talk down to me because I own a Dillon. Do you talk down to your auto mechanic because he buys Snap-on when Bench force from wall mart will work. I believe in buying quality tools weather it is reloading or working on a car or working on my home. Quality pays for itself in the long run. Haven't seen many 60+ year old lee presses. My dad has a 60+ year old Hollywood press that is still selling for $100+ on the web.