All the Equipment - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > All the Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Weigh each charge until the powder dispenser proves reliable. Weigh occasional charges to confirm is is still reliable. Ball propellants tend to meter more easily and consistantly so the trickler is not AS necessary. Stick powders (IMR) tend to bridge and/or cut leading to inconsistancies. The trickler is needed for these powders when you are loading to max accuracy.

I agree the polisher is ALMOST a must have. I cannot imagine not polishing my brass before loading, except in a SHTF situation. $100 well spent.

Loading rifle, get the calipers. You WILL need the ability to trim the brass. FWIW, IMHO don't waste your time and effort with trim dies and files. Get a trimmer (I use a Forster) and chuck up the drill for volume trimming. Then you will need a deburring tool, the RCBS one is very good.

agreed on all points.

The lyman trimmer does good. for starting. I have one now. I would shy away from the power adapter mine is off set causing the bench to shake when I fire it up. I need to try it with corded drill.

YOu want high production and benchrest tollerance get a Girud case trimmer. GTC Trimmer

Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I have the Forster screwed down to a small sheet of plywood. I sit on the back portion w/a can of brass between my thighs. The trimmer/cordless drill extends from the front of the chair. Pretty fast to chuck up a case, trim, unchuck and drop case into another can.

I came up with this set up when I was too poor to afford a powered trimmer. It works well enough that I cannot justify buyng a powered trimmer.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #13

Here is my next purchas in the reloading game. I got most of the other toys.

New, Versatile Brass-O-Matic Annealing Machine AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #14

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'm gonna do this!

You guys got me hooked and Billybob has been coaching me. I'm starting to get my funding together and will start slow.

Damn, you guys can spend a man's money!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Weigh each charge until the powder dispenser proves reliable. Weigh occasional charges to confirm is is still reliable. Ball propellants tend to meter more easily and consistantly so the trickler is not AS necessary. Stick powders (IMR) tend to bridge and/or cut leading to inconsistancies. The trickler is needed for these powders when you are loading to max accuracy.

I agree the polisher is ALMOST a must have. I cannot imagine not polishing my brass before loading, except in a SHTF situation. $100 well spent.

Loading rifle, get the calipers. You WILL need the ability to trim the brass. FWIW, IMHO don't waste your time and effort with trim dies and files. Get a trimmer (I use a Forster) and chuck up the drill for volume trimming. Then you will need a deburring tool, the RCBS one is very good.
I'm definitely getting the digital caliper. I'm also gonna pick up the trickler as it's only $13. The kit that I'm gonna get comes with a chamfer/debur tool. And I plan on getting a tumbler at some point, but being as it's not needed and money is kind of tight, I'm gonna pass for the time being and spend that $100 on components. When I've got a good supply of components I'll go ahead and pick up a tumbler.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Primers-primers-where are the Primers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'm gonna do this!

You guys got me hooked and Billybob has been coaching me. I'm starting to get my funding together and will start slow.

Damn, you guys can spend a man's money!
As noted before, Cane. Start the primer search-BUY if found under $30 per K.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I started out I ordered the Lee Anniversary kit from Midway. If I remember correctly it cost me about $75.00 plus shipping. The kit came with everything I needed except the dies and the length gauges. Although, I have upgraded the press and the scale, I still use most of the items from that original purchase. I would recommend this purchase to anyone that wants to start reloading and is not quite sure if they want to go with a large investment right from the get-go.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

My first/current cartridge reloader was a Lee Turret press. It may not be as nice as a RCBS or some of the others,but it was less than half of what the others charge and has loaded countless thousands of rounds over the years with out failure,and Lee makes some of the best dies on the market.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #19

Check Midway if you can get a reasonable Bullet puller and a beam scale to check your poweder charges. The scale is an indispensible equipment that you'll use as long as you're reloading.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #20

For a scale look on ebay.

I bought a lyman that is exactly the same as the Ohus and RCBS 10-10 for half the price of a used RCBS unit.

Lyman M5

RCBS 10-10

Ohaus 10-10