Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > All the Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default All the Equipment

I'm hoping to start reloading by the beginning of next year and I'm about to start picking up all the equipment I need. This is what I'm looking at so far:

RCBS Rock Chucker Master Kit

Lyman Turbo 1200 Case Tumbler

Frankford Arsenal Digital Caliper

RCBS Primer Turning Tray

RCBS Powder Trickler

Please let me know if there is anything that I'm missing, and also if there is another product you would suggest over one of the ones I have listed. Thanks or any and all help.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f63/what-do-i-need-reload-5608/

That will give you a list with pictures of just about everything you need.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I'm hoping to start reloading by the beginning of next year and I'm about to start picking up all the equipment I need. This is what I'm looking at so far:

RCBS Rock Chucker Master Kit

Lyman Turbo 1200 Case Tumbler

Frankford Arsenal Digital Caliper

RCBS Primer Turning Tray

RCBS Powder Trickler

Please let me know if there is anything that I'm missing, and also if there is another product you would suggest over one of the ones I have listed. Thanks or any and all help.

-Fred
Rather than list a good deal of items that you will without doubt need, (perhaps they might be included in the Rock Chucker Master Kit) I can save you some money by suggesting some things you don't need, beginning with the last 4 items on your list.

F. Prefect

Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I disagree somewhat. Unless you plan on loading high precision rifle with IMR type powders you don't need the trickler. The polisher may not be a "need" but it is darn near one. You can get by with the case length gauge rather than the caliper.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f63/what-do-i-need-reload-5608/

That will give you a list with pictures of just about everything you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fprefect View Post
Rather than list a good deal of items that you will without doubt need, (perhaps they might be included in the Rock Chucker Master Kit) I can save you some money by suggesting some things you don't need, beginning with the last 4 items on your list.

F. Prefect
That was a great list you made Tango, thanks for taking the time to do it. Didn't know it until i read your list, but the kit I'm getting has the RCBS hand priming tool which has a turning tray on it, so I'll be ditching the primer turning tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I disagree somewhat. Unless you plan on loading high precision rifle with IMR type powders you don't need the trickler. The polisher may not be a "need" but it is darn near one. You can get by with the case length gauge rather than the caliper.
I'll go ahead and ditch the trickler for now as well, but I'll still probably get the caliper as it's only around $20, and other than making case stretching easier to see, does the polisher serve any other purpose.

And I'm probably going to pick up this case trimmer.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys. And I'm sure you guys are going to hate me once I get everything in as I'll probably have at least a million questions.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

What calibers are you going to load? I have NEVER trimmed pistol brass, ever. Bottlenecked rifle brass WILL need to be trimmed, probably after the first firing and every 4-5 loadings after that.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fprefect View Post

F. Prefect
Why would you not need a caliper? You need to check OAL, case length trim length I check bullet diameter as well, I even check neck thickness. None of which can't be done without a caliper. That is a big must have in my book.

The trickler I may give you. I think you should measure each charge right to the proper weight when starting out. Never trust mechanical devices as they are not perfect no matter what advertising tells you. Tricklers also work for ball as well as stick powder robo. So using ball powder has no bearing on things.

With the RCBS hand primer you can detach the the primer tray and use it as a primer flipper as well.

A case tumbler keeps your brass clean It makes it easer to reload and makes things CLEAN so that you don't look like a slob. I am nuts about keeping my brass clean so I believe a tumbler is a must have. You can get away with out it sure.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
What calibers are you going to load? I have NEVER trimmed pistol brass, ever. Bottlenecked rifle brass WILL need to be trimmed, probably after the first firing and every 4-5 loadings after that.
Just .223 and .308 for now and once I turn 21 I'll also reload whatever pistol caliber I get.
Quote:
Why would you not need a caliper? You need to check OAL, case length trim length I check bullet diameter as well, I even check neck thickness. None of which can't be done without a caliper. That is a big must have in my book.

The trickler I may give you. I think you should measure each charge right to the proper weight when starting out. Never trust mechanical devices as they are not perfect no matter what advertising tells you. Tricklers also work for ball as well as stick powder robo. So using ball powder has no bearing on things.

With the RCBS hand primer you can detach the the primer tray and use it as a primer flipper as well.

A case tumbler keeps your brass clean It makes it easer to reload and makes things CLEAN so that you don't look like a slob. I am nuts about keeping my brass clean so I believe a tumbler is a must have. You can get away with out it sure.
I may end up picking up the trickler then as it's only about 13$. I think I'm gonna hold off on the brass tumbler, at least for the time being as that's $100 dollars I could spend on components.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #9

Quote:

Perhaps I should not have been so blunt, but there are a good many things you're going to need to load your first batch of ammo that are far more important than a digital caliper and primer trays. But looking back many years, I'm sure my priorities were not without flaws to say the very least. The more you reload the better your judgment will become on what should be the next item you're most in need of. I only wish you the best as you begin your "career" into the world of reloading. Mistakes will be made, but that's what we all learn by. It can be frustrating at times when you're just beginning but over the long haul it will allow you to customize the ammunition to meet your needs and do so a fraction of the cost of factory loads. Good luck, and don't forget to have a little fun in the process.

F. Prefect

Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:

Weigh each charge until the powder dispenser proves reliable. Weigh occasional charges to confirm is is still reliable. Ball propellants tend to meter more easily and consistantly so the trickler is not AS necessary. Stick powders (IMR) tend to bridge and/or cut leading to inconsistancies. The trickler is needed for these powders when you are loading to max accuracy.

I agree the polisher is ALMOST a must have. I cannot imagine not polishing my brass before loading, except in a SHTF situation. $100 well spent.

Loading rifle, get the calipers. You WILL need the ability to trim the brass. FWIW, IMHO don't waste your time and effort with trim dies and files. Get a trimmer (I use a Forster) and chuck up the drill for volume trimming. Then you will need a deburring tool, the RCBS one is very good.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball