All Copper bullets. How effective are they?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > All Copper bullets. How effective are they?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default All Copper bullets. How effective are they?

Okay so I just got a reloader for Christmas and have yet to put it to good use since I am waiting for some dies and such to come in. Anyways, I am going to reload .45ACP first but them I plan to make some extremely accurate and devastating rounds to use when I go deer hunting.

My question is, has anyone had any real-life results with the all copper bullets that have the polymer tips? I am specifically looking at Hornady chambered in .270 win and probably in the 130 grain range.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Okay so I just got a reloader for Christmas and have yet to put it to good use since I am waiting for some dies and such to come in. Anyways, I am going to reload .45ACP first but them I plan to make some extremely accurate and devastating rounds to use when I go deer hunting.

My question is, has anyone had any real-life results with the all copper bullets that have the polymer tips? I am specifically looking at Hornady chambered in .270 win and probably in the 130 grain range.
They work just as well as any other PT. They need to move a tad bit faster than the others but that's not hard to do. Then again I'm shootin some fast powders through mine.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

copper bullets are longer compared to lead bullets. Can easily change pressures and accuracy compared to lead. Also you have to to careful in some rifles with OAL using copper bullets.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I like the Barnes TTSX in 110 gr for my 6.8 mini, I took a 7 point buck this year with this gun and bullet. Performs very well and did not do a lot of meat damage, took out both lungs and part of the heart. The buck went about 25 yds and down.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
I like the Barnes TTSX in 110 gr for my 6.8 mini, I took a 7 point buck this year with this gun and bullet. Performs very well and did not do a lot of meat damage, took out both lungs and part of the heart. The buck went about 25 yds and down.
I've got to get me a 6.8 bad time to decide that tho .