Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Aguila ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/aguila-ammo-46014/)

Thadeuce 07-30-2011 11:20 PM

Aguila ammo

Was looking to get some ammo for a class in Sept. Saw this Aguila but have no experience with it? Any thoughts from those who have used it? Thanks in advance.

Dgunsmith 07-31-2011 12:20 AM

Made in Mexico in a factory set up by Remington. Not particular quality or clean firing. Centerfire brass often has off center flash holes.

opaww 07-31-2011 12:29 AM

There ok for range time

Thadeuce 07-31-2011 12:43 AM

Yeah, when I saw they were made in Mexico, I kinda had my doubts about the quality. Thanks for the input.

CA357 07-31-2011 02:34 AM

I won't use it, it's really dirty stuff.

webbch 08-09-2011 01:29 AM

I have my first handgun - an XD45. I picked up 1000 rounds of Aguila ammo about a month ago and have gone through about 300-350 rounds of it thus far. Yeah, it's kinda dirty, but any accuracy problems I might have are still 99% operator fault.

No FTF's or FTE's with it yet.

Bigdog57 08-14-2011 08:46 PM

I like their rimfire ammo, as they make some oddball 'niche' loads that suit certain uses I have.
.22 Colibri and Super Colibri 'primer-only- loads for close-up training, ball park sight adjustment in the house (unless you are married...), small critter dispatching.
.22 Super Maxximum - fastest .22LR load made. Not the most accurate, but DEATH on small critters up to 100 yards. Keeps you from needing a .22WMR rifle.
.22SSS - heavy 60 grain low-velocity load - fairly quiet and great for thumping small vermin. Excellent "Whompability Factor" to quote a buddy.

Aguila uses the Eley priming compound - some folks don't like the smell, but I do.

I have not yet used their centerfire ammo.

austin92 02-15-2013 09:45 AM

So I'm gonna revive this thread because today my .40 sigma saw some Aguila for the first time. This is also the first time it has ever had a feeding issue on brass casings (hates Tula). It wasn't a feed ramp issue, every time it jammed the nose of the bullet was pushed down and hitting the front edge if the mag. All I would have to do is pull the slide back a little, the cartridge would angle up and feed fine. I wasn't rapid firing either. Wondered why I was having this issue because I never have before so I broke down the mag and cleaned it up, same thing.... Ammo issue? Mag spring issue? I think I'm gonna buy some blazer and federal, try them out. Wwb seams inaccurate in my gun and it's dirty. Umc is dirty as well and I'm not a fan of sj bullets anyways. Tula is a losing battle n the sigma. Even though i love it, maybe I'm expecting too much out of a 350$ gun? Maybe i just haven't found a brand of ammo it likes. Opinions?

Gatoragn 02-15-2013 11:10 AM

Works great in my RIA and Colt 9mm 1911's. My Sig 938 is fond of Aguila, too.

The LGS's in my area say the brass is well thought of by reloaders.

YMMV

Mick3411 02-15-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbch (Post 558601)
I have my first handgun - an XD45. I picked up 1000 rounds of Aguila ammo about a month ago and have gone through about 300-350 rounds of it thus far. Yeah, it's kinda dirty, but any accuracy problems I might have are still 99% operator fault.

No FTF's or FTE's with it yet.

We must have gotten our XD 45 and the ammo at the same time. I too have about 300 rounds of the 1000 I bought fired without any problems and since I am not a bullseye shooter, accuracy was actually quite good.