Advanced course:
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Advanced course:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Advanced course:

Gents, Since I am a 50+ experienced year hand loader and have bench rest credentials, I wish to share this tid bit for rifle hand loads.

Predicated upon the use of bushing neck sizing dies, I use Redding, for bolt guns when it comes to what size bushing to use, here are generic but accurate quick rules of thumb:

1. For bare bullets, use a bushing 0.002" smaller than the neck o.d. but
2. 0.003" smaller for moly coated bullets.
3. For greater velocity from your rounds, use a Lee die as your crimp die especially if you are crimping out of the canalure groove. This is for hunting and perp stopping purposes not 1,000 yard target shooting.

Send me an e-mail if you have specific reloading q's; I am running seven presses--

Laus Deo
overbore

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

WOW

All I can say is this: Ain't nothing like tootin my own horn a time or two.

mg_6626-680x1024.jpg

Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Hey Tango, some of us old codgers actually know a thing or two...

Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I know just giving you guys a hard time.

Only thing I really don't like is the email thing.

WHy not share questions and answers on the board. Some of us know how to reload as well.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #5

Default Son,

Don't mess with Old Codgers, they don't fight fair;we win by any means--

Do you have a grandson who is a good reloader? He is shooting 100yd cloverleafs with handloads and a .308 bolt gun I built ( retired gunsmith ). My serious handloads are sorted by runout to the nearest 0.001". Was taught that by Chet Brown, Founder of Brown Precision in the late 1960's and pioneered the building of fiberglass stocks. I competed in the 1978 rifle silhouette nationals- did I see you there???? I can state from experience and will tooooot only if necessary to establish credentials but prefer just to share and pass along good info. I have nuttin honey to sell.

Your open question idea is good.What rounds are you shooting?

Cordially and hope you don't mind a reply in kind--

Laus Deo
overbore

Laus Deo
overbore

Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Hey Overbore, my buddy Tango can come on strong at times but he is the forum's "reality check". I'm sure you saw the part in Cane's welcome that said "have a thick skin". Feel free to fire back when necessary...

Old 10-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #7

Default Now For the serious stuff:

Primer selection ( remember when when we had choices?) must be appropriate for the size of the powder charge, shooting temperatures, SD tessting and size of the primer pockets.

Here is a blast: when the primer pockets get a bit on the loose side, we have two , no,three options. First is to have a primer pocket swaging tool, the second is to use WOLF PRIMERS and the third is the least best, toss the brass.

Pop Quizz: why use Wolf primers with loose pockets??????

Ans: they are at the outside diameter limits of primer sizes..( slightly larger). Saved your brass, didn't we???

Laus Deo
overbore

Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Send me an e-mail if you have specific reloading q's; I am running seven presses--"

Aw RIGHT! We finally got us a expert! Welcome aboard...we been waiting a long time for someone to save us.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #9

Default Not here to save you

That happens on Sunday; I am here to join and help if able.

Laus Deo
overbore

Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Welcome Overbore. I have been reloading for 30+ years, but mainly just as an enjoyable pasttime and for the economy of it. I have developed adequate loads for all of the 14 cailbers I load, but have not ventured into the realm of loading for benchrest accuracy.

Post away and share your hard learned secrets, I am always ready to learn more.

TXnorton