Accurate .308 bullets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Accurate .308 bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
THT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Accurate .308 bullets

I've discovered I really enjoy long(er) distance shooting and have decided to start loading my own .308 rounds. I've been shooting 168gr FGMM through my Remington 700 5R however I've read there are much better bullets out there if one is willing to roll their own. Someone mentioned that I should look into Lapua Scenar bullets. Anyone have any first-hand experience with them? Or are there better bullets?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

the Federal GMM use Sierra 168gr Match King bullets they have more wins in compatition than any other mass produced bullet out there.

If you want better long range (500+ yards) then look into the 175gr SMK or the laupa Which are great bullets I have never shot them because they are to pricy for me. Also look into Berger bullets.

If you want the best bullets accuracy wise these are going to come from custom bullet manufactures. These guys use hand dies and are very miticulos in the way they make bullets. Here is a list of benchrest bullet makers. Many require 2,000 bullet orders and 50% nonrefundable deposit.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
THT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
the Federal GMM use Sierra 168gr Match King bullets they have more wins in compatition than any other mass produced bullet out there.

If you want better long range (500+ yards) then look into the 175gr SMK or the laupa Which are great bullets I have never shot them because they are to pricy for me. Also look into Berger bullets.

If you want the best bullets accuracy wise these are going to come from custom bullet manufactures. These guys use hand dies and are very miticulos in the way they make bullets. Here is a list of benchrest bullet makers. Many require 2,000 bullet orders and 50% nonrefundable deposit.
Good info. My goal for this year is to start pinging steel at 600 yards and my FIL has offered to help me develop the right load for my rifle and that range. Do you know if there is an appreciable difference between the moly-coated Lapua bullets and the non-coated?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 AM   #4

No some say molly is good and some say molly is bad. I never liked mollied bullets because they always got my fingers too dirty.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

THT - What is the configuration of your rifle? Because 600 yards, at MOA, is a 6 inch target. Provided you don't have any excess outside influences ( mirage, windage, non-floated barrel, shooter induced error ) shooting FGMM should get you there no problem.

Once you fire form your brass to your chamber, if you reload that brass, you are already going to get slightly better accuracy.

If you have a factory barrel, changing that out for custom barrel will tighten up your groups considerably for less money than it's going to cost to get into reloading from scratch ( I don't know what your current reloading kit is ).

I have a built .308 Tactical Rig in the projects section that shoots only FGGM and I shoot around 4" groups, on average, if the conditions are right and I am on my game. My best group at that distance came in just under 1/2moa - and that is without reloading....

JD

Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
THT

Quote:
No some say molly is good and some say molly is bad. I never liked mollied bullets because they always got my fingers too dirty.
I might try a box of each and see for myself which works better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
THT - What is the configuration of your rifle? Because 600 yards, at MOA, is a 6 inch target. Provided you don't have any excess outside influences ( mirage, windage, non-floated barrel, shooter induced error ) shooting FGMM should get you there no problem.

Once you fire form your brass to your chamber, if you reload that brass, you are already going to get slightly better accuracy.

If you have a factory barrel, changing that out for custom barrel will tighten up your groups considerably for less money than it's going to cost to get into reloading from scratch ( I don't know what your current reloading kit is ).

I have a built .308 Tactical Rig in the projects section that shoots only FGGM and I shoot around 4" groups, on average, if the conditions are right and I am on my game. My best group at that distance came in just under 1/2moa - and that is without reloading....

JD
My rifle is a stock Remington 700 5R in .308. All the reloading gear is my FIL's and he's setup to load .308 so there won't be any added cost other than the bullets I provide.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Neck size that .308 brass

THT, to add to what Dillinger stated, about your fire formed brass for handloads--be sure that your friend has a .308 Neck Sizer die. If your brass is full length resized, it will be no more accurate than a factory load. These loads when done will be taylor made for your rifle, and may not even fit in another .308. You only need to size the neck, to hold the bullet tight. As stated before, you probably won't do better than Sierra Match bullets.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
THT, to add to what Dillinger stated, about your fire formed brass for handloads--be sure that your friend has a .308 Neck Sizer die. If your brass is full length resized, it will be no more accurate than a factory load. These loads when done will be taylor made for your rifle, and may not even fit in another .308. You only need to size the neck, to hold the bullet tight. As stated before, you probably won't do better than Sierra Match bullets.
Where did you hear that horse hoocky? That is no more true than every gun like the same ammo. As for not fitting another 308 yes they will. unless your rifle has a very tight chamber that requires neck turning. Then we are talking about a custom barrel with a specific chamber that you and your gunsmith come up with.

When loading the 308 you can neck size for 3, 4 or maybe 5 loading then you need to full length size them again. I have been loading for the 308 for 15 years. Never used a neck sizer and mine shooting anything I put in her to no more than 1/2" at 100 yards.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Horse Hoocky?

Quote:
Where did you hear that horse hoocky? That is no more true than every gun like the same ammo. As for not fitting another 308 yes they will. unless your rifle has a very tight chamber that requires neck turning. Then we are talking about a custom barrel with a specific chamber that you and your gunsmith come up with.

When loading the 308 you can neck size for 3, 4 or maybe 5 loading then you need to full length size them again. I have been loading for the 308 for 15 years. Never used a neck sizer and mine shooting anything I put in her to no more than 1/2" at 100 yards.
This is VERY true-a NECK sized load may NOT fit some other rifle than the ONE that it was fire formed in! Yes ANY FULL LENGTH sized load WILL fit any other rifle chamber of that cal. Yes, you may have to full length size after 4-5 times of shooting neck sized loads, and neck sized should only be fired in a bolt action, due to the strong camming action of the bolt design. I'm a little surprised that someone who has been loading for ONLY 15 years, and can ONLY shoot 1/2' groups@ 100yds. would be jumping on another hand loaders back! That would be considered a LARGE group for me, with my 22-250. Put another 20 years under your belt, in hand loading, before you come back to tell The Old Man about proper reloading technics, Mr. Tango

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #10

I think I understand the neck size thing, but I am going to leave it to the more enlightened group.

I am having a competition benchrest gun built right now. Barrel (mine will be a Hart, as they are 10 miles from my house), a Rem 40-X action, McMillian stock recycled, and chambered in 30BR. All the pieces are there, the load has been worked out by a lot of previous competitors. The issue this year is bullets for competition. Tough to find for the 30BR locally. My father-in-law has been shooting and building IBS guns for 20+ years and he is concerned, and he knows everybody. One of his pals will probably end up making us some bullets for my gun, but top shelf stuff is getting tough to find.

Just one of those things I guess.....