Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9mm vs .45 acp cost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 9mm vs .45 acp cost

My buddy & I recently bought a used Lee Pro 1K .45 ACP press. We were on the same page of getting the loader and converting it over to a 9mm press because we know that its cheaper to put rounds down range and then reload. Plus, we would eventually get .45s so its not like the .45 dies & case plate assembly would go to waste.

Now I'm thinking that I want to go with a .45. My thoughts have changed on my POS for the pistol. First I thought a 9mm because of the lesser expensive, factory, ammo.

Since I have a .45 reloader would reloading .45s be cheaper than 9mm factory ammo?

My POS has changed from a range gun to a home defense gun. My wife & I have our first child on the way so it goes with out saying that most of my money needs to go towards the baby and things we need. However, I do have some money set aside for the pistol purchase, ONE pistol.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19839 Times on 11263 Posts
Likes Given: 50009

smoky, anytime you reload, the biggest cost factor in the ammo is the brass case. i do much reloading, but still buy some factory loaded ammo, just to have the brass once it's been fired. without running a calculator to the costs, reloaded 45 ammo compared to reloaded 9mm is probably going to be close. 45 is going to be just a little higher due to larger bullets, and more case capacity for powder and different primers. but still reasonable. also if buying components in larger bulk amounts, 500 vs. 100 bullets, it gets even cheaper. sometimes you can pick up some good deals on the components at gun shows. also buy some bulk loaded ammo to shoot and practice with, then use the brass for reloading. sometimes bulk ammo can be bought very reasonably in price.

thinking about buying a 45 pistol? good choice in caliber. you will enjoy it. i have pistols in many different calibers and the 45 acp is among them. you can never go wrong with a 45. have you any ideas as to what type of budget you would be looking at for buying one? any type of preference to type? my best recommendation would be to go and look at several and try them out. my personal preference in the 45 is the 1911. if this is yours also, there can be some really great deals out there on them. also check out the pawn shops and gun stores for a good used pistol in this caliber.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
have you any ideas as to what type of budget you would be looking at for buying one? any type of preference to type?
The budget is around the $650 mark. I really like the XDm looks. I've read many reviews on it. Talked to a couple of my LGS. However, I have not shot one. The closest indoor range is about 45mins away & I not sure if they have rentals or even if they have the XDm line. I'm headed to a gun show in that area this weekend so i'm goung to swing by that indoor range and have a look.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19839 Times on 11263 Posts
Likes Given: 50009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
The budget is around the $650 mark. I really like the XDm looks. I've read many reviews on it. Talked to a couple of my LGS. However, I have not shot one. The closest indoor range is about 45mins away & I not sure if they have rentals or even if they have the XDm line. I'm headed to a gun show in that area this weekend so i'm goung to swing by that indoor range and have a look.

smoky, i have the XDm-40 and love it. several members here have the same one in 45 and love them. i think the XDm45 would be an excellent choice in 45. very well made and pretty accurate. i have given some thought in buying one in 45 myself. if it fits your hand well, and it does have the option of the interchangeable backstraps on the grip, then i think IMO, you have made o good choice to try out. i really like the XDm. check out the posts in the XD section as you can pick up a lot of information there on them. i think you would be pleased with it.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

reloading narrows the price gap between 45 and 9 by a lot but 45acp bullets weigh more so more material cost is involved in just the bullets. the price per bullet will always be slightly higher for heavier bullets. but it isnt that bad.

the heavier the bullet the more its gonna cost.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

The 9mm will always be less expensive as Jon stated. There is nothing wrong with a 9mm. It is more about shot placement than bullet diameter. As far as reloading, the 9 and .45 will use about the same amount of powder, primers are about the same (large vs small), the bullet is the deciding factor. 9mm bullets will be cheaper. If you stay away from Glock, you can use hard cast bullets and save even more. The .45 is easier to get a good load with a cast bullet, it is a more forgiving caliber. In 9mm cast bullets should be loaded as long as practical to get good accuracy and avoid leading the barrel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Your "POS"? "LGS"?

It's a LOT easier to answer properly when we don't have to guess what you're talking about.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole
Your "POS"? "LGS"?

It's a LOT easier to answer properly when we don't have to guess what you're talking about.
If you look through the introduction page of this forum. There is a thread that explains what the acronyms are. Sorry POS should have read; POU.

LGS = local gun shop
POU = purpose of use

-------------

Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #9

To make the math easy ... assuming you have some brass ... LSWC bullets $100/M + primers $35/M + powder ~$5/M = about $140/M (or $0.14 per shot).

9mm costs about $220/M (or about $0.22/shot).

I reload 45 ACP but buy the 9mm.

Danny

Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #10

If you can only get one weapon, why not let your wife decide? If she is home alone and is required to defend the house, wouldn't it be best if she has a weapon she is comfortable with? My wife has trouble with a .45, but she can put 10 out of 10 in the head of a man sized paper target at 50 feet with her Beretta 92 ( 9mm ). As for reloading, you will save the most when you cast your own (about 10 cents less each than jacketed bullets), but really you are just trading time for money, and you probably don't have a whole lot of time either. It's also a lot easier to get accessories if your wife is a shooter too.