9mm vs .40 s&w - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9mm vs .40 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
If you are not to far away, you can try a few of mine. 9x19, 10mm, .45acp
This is an offer you should NOT refuse.
And a damn nice offer!
__________________________________________________ ______

I am of the opinion you need to focus not on ballistics, but your accuracy.
If you can be X-ring consistently, you could stop anything with a head shot.
Because you might find a bad guy with a Bullet proof vest underneath.
Then your center of mass shooting won't stop the threat, merely knock it down.
Hense, be good enough to stop the threat.
So a cannon isn't going to save you if it misses. But a .22 to the brain most likely will.
My Step-son has a 9mm, a .40, and a .45ACP. He sez the .40 is a real accurate firearm.
I've shot his Taurus .45ACP and it is a wrist hurter. I guess you'd call it a sub-compact.
Where my 1911 Government Model is far more accurate for both of us.
I have a few firearms, not a mass. I'd rather be a good shot with a few, than a terrible shot with a hundred.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #12

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

I went through the 92 series, they always end up w/ issues. The frames always get peened from recoil, always! Granted, I run them hard, but nothing else I've owned has had the issues the 92 series had. I prefer the Sig now. I've gone back to single stack handguns. 7 or 8 is more then enough in a good handgun.
A Military spec pistol w/ 124gr Ranger Nato spec ammo will penetrate clothing, and bring a big hurt. 135gr Expanding FMJ, or protected point HP's also really help in the PP catagory.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnypie View Post
I am of the opinion you need to focus not on ballistics, but your accuracy.
If you can be X-ring consistently, you could stop anything with a head shot.
Because you might find a bad guy with a Bullet proof vest underneath.
Then your center of mass shooting won't stop the threat, merely knock it down.
I'm not going to go so far as to call this bad advise, but let's keep something in mind here...those "X-rings" probably aren't moving and your pulse probably ain't pounding as you're shooting the center out of a sheet of paper.

But should you choose a caliber your shoot significantly better over one with impressive ballistics? Absolutely.

Last edited by sweeper22; 06-26-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Or you could kill two birds with one stone and look at an XDm40, with 16+1 capacity and a frame size/shape that's not so far off the Beretta. It is a little plasticky though.
And the other problem is....well it's a Springfield XD

Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #15

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
I'm not going to go so far as to call this bad advise, but let's keep something in mind here...those "X-rings" probably aren't moving and your pulse probably ain't pounding as you're shooting the center out of a sheet of paper.

But should you choose a caliber your shoot significantly better over one with impressive ballistics? Absolutely.
You could then take those statements and add the fact that you are more likely to get that 'magic bullet' shot if you have more lead flying on a moving target. To clarify; you are more than twice as likely to get a head shot on a moving target if you have 17-18 chances, than if you have only 7-8 shots.

Of course, you could have a few more magazines with you. Even then, I'd rather have 51 chances with three magazines in my M&P9, than 21 chances with a 45. But that is me, I will probably need the thirty extra rounds.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #16

Practice with what you carry, that's what is important. You could have 300 rounds, won't do you a damn bit of good if you can't hit your target. I would rather have one magazine in a gun I'm comfortable and familiar with.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
If you are not to far away, you can try a few of mine. 9x19, 10mm, .45acp
Quote:
This is an offer you should NOT refuse.
And a damn nice offer!
Agreed. I'm always open to shooting something new. Never shot a 45. I have shot the other 2, not necessarily in the guns you have, though. I don't think I'm too far away. Maybe an hour or so. I also have 4th of July week off.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Hello....
X ring is figuratively speaking. I'm trying VERY hard to be as PC as it seems I need to be.
My point is accuracy.
Personally I rarely shoot paper, even when sighting in, and I rarely shoot specific yardages. I do shoot random targets at varying distances. When I am satisfied I can hit what I aim at, I am confident.
Too many of you seem to read things in that simply are not there.
Accuracy is not "Spray and Pray" shooting. It is being able to call your shot routinely.
But, uh, whatever.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a big fan of ammo capacity; the 9mm gets my vote. I have guns in 9mm, .40, and .45...The 9mm is my favorite. I love the light recoil and ammo capacity I get with it. Get some good +p+ ammo and you're all set to deal with anything you need to.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 06-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #20

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Sorry, off topic question here....why does it say under some people's names, "Banned"? I would assume it to mean they've been kicked off, but I can't help notice sonnypie has posted twice with it under his name.....just curious....

Newest Threads