9mm vs .40 s&w

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9mm vs .40 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default 9mm vs .40 s&w

OK, I chose 40 a long time ago over 9mm. At one point, everybody was saying 9mm doesn't have the stopping power. I can't help but think now 9 is a wuss caliber. HOWEVER, 9 tends to have WAY more capacity, everyone seems to say it's cheaper, and now people are saying 9 isn't that bad in the stopping Dept.

Anyone have any opinions on this? If there is another thread that discusses it, (a search didn't turn up any), let me know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2223 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I don't think you searched hard enough. This has been discussed ad nauseum previously.

In a nutshell... take your pick. They are both effective rounds with proper training and practice.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 164

9mm has come a long way in the past 10 years the slugs perform a lot better but you have to do your part too. I personally don't carry 9mm unless it's +P+ ammo or in a 357 Sig which uses 9mm diameter slugs.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

step one: forget the myth of stopping power

step two: find a style of defensive handgun you find comfy in the largest caliber you can control, it should be near 100% reliable as possible

step three: practice until you are very fast and accurate and know the firearm inside and out.

stoppping power is a bullsht myth invented decades ago to trick people into favoring on gun over another.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Put a 9x19, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm Auto, and .45Auto next to each other and see which one you think is more effective.
Then look at power factor and which you think is more effective.
Then decide if you need to penetrate several layers of clothe, thus making almost all HPs ineffective.
Then, find a gun you like and whatever cartridge it takes, you will be able to find some effective ammunition for it (unless you drop below .380 Auto into .32 and .25 territory).
I can not imagine my ever needed more than 8 shots, so most of the guns like come in a large caliber that takes one in the chamber and 7-8 in the magazine.
I won't be in shoot-outs or gang attacks or surrounding my attacking savages. I can not imagine getting into a tactical situation that would require more than two 12-gauge buckshot loads and 8-9 .45 Auto rounds.
Rather than sweating this stuff, practice until you can hit center of mass at 5 yards from the hip and center of mass at 15 yards concentrating ONLY on the target. Then, you might actually HIT something--which is more than most bad guys and cops seem capable of.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

well i have a xd 40, and am waiting for my sr9c. i used the beretta 92 in the military... personally i like the 40.. seems to leave a bigger hole in my targets.. and has made it around thru 3.75 inches of solid wood... i pulled out all my slugs from the 4th 1 inch board i was shooting. but 9mm ammo does seem to be a few bucks cheaper..... shot my friends 44 mag the other day.. i think that would win in a gunfight. lol.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 06-25-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Yeah, I don't think I searched enough, either......Those were the responses I was expecting, though. Sounds good.....Fortunately, the gun I like, the Beretta 90 Series, comes in both.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yeah, I don't think I searched enough, either......Those were the responses I was expecting, though. Sounds good.....Fortunately, the gun I like, the Beretta 90 Series, comes in both.
If you are not to far away, you can try a few of mine. 9x19, 10mm, .45acp

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Then decide if you need to penetrate several layers of clothe, thus making almost all HPs ineffective.
You know this based on what?

OP, All of them cause damage...the question is how much. I am a believer that a bigger caliber (on same category i.e. regular, magnum, etc.) will do more. Factor cost, recoil, accuracy, etc. and base your choice on that.

Myself, I prefer .40 cal but will not feel inadequately armed with 9mm especially when loaded with my favorite ammo (Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T).

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 261 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
The Beretta will offer good handling and performance for either round. I favor both 9mm and 45acp over 40sw, because I can put follow up shots on target faster with either. A Beretta 92/M9 will find its way back to the target very quickly, and in a defense situation that's a critical factor to consider.

If you shoot well and choose good ammunition (127gr +P+ Rangers or 147gr Fed HST for 9mm), it is highly unlikely that you'll ever find good cause to feel underpowered. But it's also highly unlikely that a 40sw in the same circumstances would fail to have enough capacity for your needs.

Or you could kill two birds with one stone and look at an XDm40, with 16+1 capacity and a frame size/shape that's not so far off the Beretta. It is a little plasticky though.

Last edited by sweeper22; 06-25-2011 at 06:34 PM.