9mm help!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9mm help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 9mm help!

I loaded 50 rounds of 9mm - the bullet and powder I used are power pistol and Hornady 115 HP/XTP and I use 5.2 grain of powder and I didnt seat to col in the book 1.75 but to 1.165 + or - a few .001 Now my qustion is the bullet to close to the powder to pervent the pressure to expand and would it be a problem to me when I shoot it?.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Do you mean 1.175 rather than 1.75?
5.2 gr of what? Is it a max load?

If you mean 1.175 and you're not near max, .01" shouldn't really make much difference.
There are any number of opinions on what a good COAL is for any given combination. I tend to stay away from minimum unless the gun dictates otherwise.

NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In Hornady reloading manuel that the mim. what i'M WORRY ABOUT IF i SEATED THE BULLET TO FAR DOWN AND THE BULLET ONTOP OF THE POWDER

the book says COL is 1.075

Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
In Hornady reloading manuel that the mim. what i'M WORRY ABOUT IF i SEATED THE BULLET TO FAR DOWN AND THE BULLET ONTOP OF THE POWDER
the book says COL is 1.075
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, your min COAL is 1.075 and you wrote that you seated your ammo to a COAL of 1.165. If I am, in fact, interpreting the provided info correctly, you are above minimum and you should have nothing to worry about; e.g 1.165 is longer than minimum (1.075). Longer length= more expansion room, thus less exciting pressure spikes.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks alot

Old 11-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Clarity would be very nice.
I still don't have clarity on this message.
COL: seat as long as you can, provided rounds fit magazine, feed and chamber easily.
When you are setting up, load a couple of inert (no powder or primer) rounds to get each die set correctly. With these, you can play with COL and determine what COL is best for your gun.
COL is particularly critical for .380, 9x19, and .40 S&W. These rounds will produce large pressure spikes if COL is too short.
Always take any COL as being the minimum.
Always start loading at the lowest starting load you can find.
Never take anyone's "pet load" as being suitable for you until you have worked up to it.