9mm handloads for rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9mm handloads for rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default 9mm handloads for rifle

Looking for load data for 9mm Luger to be used in Kel-Tec Sub2000 carbine or similar rifle with 16-18 inch barrel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Just here to learn.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

You can use any moderate to high vel load listed for the handguns. I would avoid really low power, starting loads to hopefully avoid sticking a bullet in the barrel. Higher end loads using slower powders may give better results.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5741 Times on 3000 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You can use any moderate to high vel load listed for the handguns. I would avoid really low power, starting loads to hopefully avoid sticking a bullet in the barrel. Higher end loads using slower powders may give better results.
+1

your going to get better performance just due purely to the longer barrel with standard loadings. hopefully your not thinking about hunting with it. even from a rifle the 9mm is barely sufficient for rabbit hunting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Everything I have seen really stresses no aluminum cased ammo

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
+1

your going to get better performance just due purely to the longer barrel with standard loadings. hopefully your not thinking about hunting with it. even from a rifle the 9mm is barely sufficient for rabbit hunting.
If people successfully hunt with a 4" .357 revolver, one can hunt with a 9mm from a rifle, ESPECIALLY if handloading. There are factory loads that push a 125gr bullet to 1400fps out of a carbine, and they are still tayored for a pistol. Experimenting with powders that are a bit slower by one or two steps could increase the velocities even more. I wouldn't doubt one could get a 147gr bullet going at a good 1200fps or more with some fiddling.

I'm not saying they should be taking on 300lb game, because I know the .357 is still overall more capable but a 120lb deer isn't going to tell the difference between a .355 125gr bullet at 1400fps, and a .357 125gr bullet at 1400fps. Hell, I remember one guy took a deer with his 9mm carbine and the round went through both shoulder blades and stopped in the hide on the other side.

And I'd imagine any load within standard range designed to cycle an auto won't give you any trouble as far as the bullet getting stuck in the barrel. Turning it into a quiet "bolt-action" is where you might get into trouble, though I'd still see no point in loading light if you are wanting the velocity increase from a carbine.