Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   9mm ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/9mm-ammo-92408/)

cblowe13 06-17-2013 01:23 AM

9mm ammo
 
In your opinion what is the best self defense round for 9mm? I have guard dog shoots great and feels great.

johnr1943 06-17-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1278340)
In your opinion what is the best self defense round for 9mm? I have guard dog shoots great and feels great.

I just bought 9mm +P Corbon (looks like it should "stop" well)

cblowe13 06-17-2013 01:34 AM

I hear nothing but good things about that ammo. The most popular kind in my opinion is the hydrashock, in ballistics I believe these cause the most damage or the Speer.

robocop10mm 06-17-2013 02:15 AM

Speer 124 gr +P Gld Dot all the way.

Gunslingerbarred 06-21-2013 06:29 AM

Anyone have any links that give more information on 9mm loads, and ballistics, and that sort?

JW357 06-21-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13
In your opinion what is the best self defense round for 9mm? I have guard dog shoots great and feels great.

Right now? Any factory hollow point you can find.

I have Hornady Critical Duty. I like the idea of the polymer insert in the bullet head for consistent expansion. Tnoutdoors9 on YouTube has done some ballistic gelatin tests with it. He had good things to say, I believe.

In my opinion, as long as the hollow point consistently expands, I see pretty much all 9mm defensive rounds as very similar.

cblowe13 06-21-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Right now? Any factory hollow point you can find.

I have Hornady Critical Duty. I like the idea of the polymer insert in the bullet head for consistent expansion. Tnoutdoors9 on YouTube has done some ballistic gelatin tests with it. He had good things to say, I believe.

In my opinion, as long as the hollow point consistently expands, I see pretty much all 9mm defensive rounds as very similar.

That's my question really are the ballistics basically the same for all hp

bbertram 06-21-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslingerbarred (Post 1282236)
Anyone have any links that give more information on 9mm loads, and ballistics, and that sort?

http://www.ballistics101.com/45_acp.php ballistics of major ammo available.

bbertram 06-21-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1282299)
That's my question really are the ballistics basically the same for all hp

They are not the same. One reason is that some bullets FAIL to expand, others lose parts, some don't expand very well or very consistently. Look for Law Enforcement rated ammo ( although it's penetrating ability is not an SD characteristic ) . My favorites are CCI Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST & Corbon DPX rounds. I usually only buy Gold Dots, but have just ordered some HST for my .45 . Their expansion is very impressive. Google on "9mm HST gel tests" or "9mm Gold Dot gel tests" , and see those results. The Critical Duty and Critical Defense are also excellent rounds, based on their record of consistent expansion, even in "short barrel" loads .
Brent

JimRau 06-21-2013 02:53 PM

All of the current crop of 9mm 'defense ammo' from all the major suppliers are VERY good.
My personal preference is the Winchester 127 gr +p+.
The 147 gr are not the way to go. They have improved a lot in the past few years, but they are still not nearly as good as the 115 to 127 gr loads.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.