Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9mm/40s&w..... 357sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Alright, so I've decided to add a couple new handguns to my collection. I love the Sig P226 Tac Ops. Now, for my choice in cartridges....

I already have a nice collection of 9mm and 40s&w. There is no option for a 45acp. Besides, the only 45 I've grown accustomed to and love shooting is the 1911. I also wouldnt mind another 40. .. Love shooting it. However, I do have another option for this Sig. The other option is chambered in a 357sig.

I always enjoyed shooting the 357mag round, but the 357sig is new and unchartered territory for me. Can anyone out there shed some light on this type of ammo and what its equivellant to shooting?... Or at least a close proximity.... The more I read, the more I am interested. I just dont want to get caught up with availabilty issues or a round that I won't enjoy shooting.

If you're wondering why I'm not leaning toward the P226 in 9mm, its because I have something else in mind for that.... the Walther PPQ 1st Edition model. The First Edition only comes chambered in 9mm, so this will not be an uption for me with this Sig.

If anyone out there is shooting the 357 sig round, please let me know what your thoughts are about this particular round.... both pros and cons, of course. I would appreciate any feedback on the subject.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2693 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 261

I don't partake of the .357 Sig.
Do you reload? If not, research the availability & cost of the ammo. In this area, it's available in very limited quantities and it's pricey. I know that everything is available on-line. I'm just saying know what your getting into before you jump in the deep end. Sometimes waiting 4-5 days for ammo just won't cut it.
Ballistically, it's not so great that you can't live without it. +P+ 9 mm ammo gets close. .357 magnum is more versatile. Before someone says how much better the .357 Sig goes through car doors or windshields, I'll concede that point. Simply because I don't care. Most people probably don't really need to worry about that sort of thing.
Do your homework and see if it's what you want.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I have a Glock 32 in 357 SIG and enjoy it. The ammo is more expensive than .40 and a little harder to find but all gun shops should have at least a small selection and it's easy to get on line in bulk or by the box.
Shooting it is very similar to the .40, a little sharper and "snappier" recoil.
I've heard reloading for it is tricky because of the very short neck and making cases by necking down .40 cases is not recommended because the case is a little shorter when you do that.
All in all I'd say if you want a 357SIG go for it but there's no advantage over a .40 to me.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you reload? If not, research the availability & cost of the ammo.

Thanks overkill0084... I do reload and have been doing my research. You really don't hear much about this round and seems like the gunshops I deal with would have to special order the Sig because they mainly carry the 9 and occasionally the 40. I'm not really worried about it going through sheet metal or windshields, but I do want to be certain that the stopping power is there

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jeepejeep, I have found the ammo to be reasonably priced online. No problems finding it locally either. Even the local Walmarts are carrying it now..... Besides, I would be reloading. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #6

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The .357sig intrigues me. I'd like to give it a try but I don't know anybody that has one. And about the limited availability of ammo, I have never even seen .357sig ammo for sale anywhere other than online.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Get a .357sig barrel for one of your 40's and give it a try.

I tried 400 Cor-Bon in my 1911's that way. The .400 barrel is gathering dust somewhere now...

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

We've got a 357 Sig on order,a XD Tactical model.We reload so ammo is not a problem ,we can reload cheap,and accurate,plus we can get the most out of any caliber we reload for.Some say the 357 Sig is nothing more than a 9 mm on steroids,but it is much more than that.It is a flat shooting,powerful round and a proven man-stopper.It is very accurate also.If it wasn't good the Secret Service wouldn't be using it!I've done a lot of research on it before deciding on it.I think it will make a good addition to your collection. morayman..........

Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by morayman View Post
We've got a 357 Sig on order,a XD Tactical model.We reload so ammo is not a problem ,we can reload cheap,and accurate,plus we can get the most out of any caliber we reload for.Some say the 357 Sig is nothing more than a 9 mm on steroids,but it is much more than that.It is a flat shooting,powerful round and a proven man-stopper.It is very accurate also.If it wasn't good the Secret Service wouldn't be using it!I've done a lot of research on it before deciding on it.I think it will make a good addition to your collection. morayman..........
That sums it up pretty well.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45
Get a .357sig barrel for one of your 40's and give it a try.

I tried 400 Cor-Bon in my 1911's that way. The .400 barrel is gathering dust somewhere now...
Sport45... Never made sense to me to to spend upwards of $200 to test the round. During some of my online research, I did read somewhere that this has been done. If I did end up liking the round, then I'd be compelled to purchase the Sig. I have a couple Berettas, an XDM, a S&W, and a Walther PPQ chambered in 40. I havent seen any of those manufacturers with an available 357sig barrell. I'll check it out though. Maybe I'm wrong.