Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 9 mm crimped primers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default 9 mm crimped primers.

I'm sure this has been covered plenty of times before but maybe there are some new ideas out there now. I haven't used my Dillon in quite some time and its time to get it cranking. I just order a bunch of JHP bullets from Precision Delta on someones advice. I had to order 4K to get the volume discount so thats whats coming. I have several thousand primers and I have a bunch of Accurate #7 and Blue Dot so will use one of those. My cases are mixed head stamp so my question is does anyone have some magic method of figuring which ones have crimped primers. I hate to have to deprime all of them and then swag all the pockets but don't want to crush any primers either. I think all military brass has crimped primers but not all brass with crimped primers are military. I thought about going through the brass and pick out the ones with a date on the head stamp and swag those. Any ideas?

20140324_160120.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5334 Times on 2784 Posts
Likes Given: 339

are you sure they are crimped?? almost all my 9mm brass is range pickups and ive never come across crimped 9mm

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
are you sure they are crimped?? almost all my 9mm brass is range pickups and ive never come across crimped 9mm
No I'm not sure their crimped. I just assumed (I know, I know) the brass with the year of manufacture head stamp was military brass and thus crimped. I'll pick out a few tomorrow and resize and try seating a primer and see what happens. If its not crimped it makes my job a lot easier.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5218 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

If this is the first reload of once fired brass, I'd just go ahead and swage all of the pockets to be sure. If you have a Dillon super swager. If not, sort the commercial out by hand. I haven't run across much commercial with crimped pockets.

Golda Meier.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Not all "military" brass is crimped. In my experience, the Winchester NATO brass is. Not all Winchester year stamped brass is NATO. I have noet seen many other headstamps that are crimped.

Crimped is pretty easy to spot doing a quick visual inspection after polishing.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Most of this brass is range pick up so I have no idea of its history. I do have a Dillon Super Swager. My eyes just aren't what they used to be but I got one of those magnified lamps a couple weeks ago, one of those on an arm with the light around the magnifying glass. Might be a good time to break that in.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5218 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Not all "military" brass is crimped. In my experience, the Winchester NATO brass is. Not all Winchester year stamped brass is NATO. I have noet seen many other headstamps that are crimped.

Crimped is pretty easy to spot doing a quick visual inspection after polishing.
If it has the NATO "cross in a circle" you can just about be certain it's crimped.

Golda Meier.