Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   7mm loads (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/7mm-loads-24343/)

marv762 03-07-2010 11:49 PM

7mm loads

I am having no luck with my old Spanish Mauser in 7mm. Any body have some light loads for it. Only shooting paper at 100yds. Have 175 grn bullets. thanks Marv

stalkingbear 03-08-2010 12:34 AM

What powder do you have or are wanting to use? Are you wanting to use a particular powder or just wanting a pet load? 43 gr of 760 should be a good shooting load BUT drop down a few gr and work up to it as it's only 1.5gr under max. What's safe in my M77 Ruger may not be safe in your Mauser. Minimum load listed is 39gr.

robocop10mm 03-08-2010 12:12 PM

I like BLC-2 for the 7X57 in my Spaniards. I prefer the lighter 140's as they give less bolt thrust and stress the action less. The sights are regulated for 175's so I had to modify mine for the light weights.

As far as a pet load? Each rifle is different and you are loading for a 70+ year old rifle. It would be very imprudent for anyone to give you a "pet load" and recommend it for your rifle sight unseen.

Catfish 03-08-2010 11:12 PM

Marv, I would sugest that you try lenthing the OAL of your ammo. Most of those old military rifles have long throughts and seating the bullet out will cut the jump to the rifleings. I have had several gun that with the most accurate ammo I shot in them had to be loaded single shot as the rounds were to long for the mag., which make no difference for target shooting.

jpattersonnh 03-09-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 243702)
Marv, I would sugest that you try lenthing the OAL of your ammo. Most of those old military rifles have long throughts and seating the bullet out will cut the jump to the rifleings. I have had several gun that with the most accurate ammo I shot in them had to be loaded single shot as the rounds were to long for the mag., which make no difference for target shooting.

Since his Spanish 7x57 is a Mauser, a controlled feed, shooting as a single shot is not advised. Just as M96 Swede rifles have long throats, the jump does not effect accuracy if kept at moderate speeds.

marv762 03-09-2010 01:58 AM

thanks for the info. tried 142 gr and 154 gr bullets but could not seem to get a tight group. used 4895 and 3031 but just could not narrow anything down. the rifle is in good shape with no pitting or rust. had it checked to make sure it was safe before it was shot.

jeepcreep927 03-09-2010 02:07 AM

I agree with stalkingbear and robocop about your starting loads. Not only would I back off a few grains, I would look at a manual as several of the books I own have two different sections for 6.5 Swede and 7mm Mauser. One section for surplus small rings and a second for modern actions.

willfully armed 03-09-2010 02:10 AM

light loads

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/imr-trail-boss-reduced-loads-pistol-rifle-23200/

I know a feller who is regularly achieving sub MOA @100 with a Mosin 91/30 using Trail Boss.

robocop10mm 03-09-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 243805)
Since his Spanish 7x57 is a Mauser, a controlled feed, shooting as a single shot is not advised. Just as M96 Swede rifles have long throats, the jump does not effect accuracy if kept at moderate speeds.

My Spanish Mausers are indeed controlled feed, but the design of the magazine allows one to load one "long" round in the magazine and feed it normally. The over length rounds will not load more than one at a time in the mag though.

jpattersonnh 03-09-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 244262)
My Spanish Mausers are indeed controlled feed, but the design of the magazine allows one to load one "long" round in the magazine and feed it normally. The over length rounds will not load more than one at a time in the mag though.

Still a controled feed. Loading to the breech as a single shot is not a great idea as it is not a push fed system.