7.62MALAYSIAN ball anygood?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 7.62MALAYSIAN ball anygood?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Default 7.62MALAYSIAN ball anygood?

i just took one of my 7.62x51 rifles out for a drive a little while ago...when i got done shooting @ some paper..i started picking up my brass & was about to chunk them into the trash and noticed that these casings where boxer primed...SWEET!...i know that they are plenty of mil spec. brass and ammo on the market and most mil brass is stronger but a lil less space inside..anyways,this ammo seems very clean and accurate to boot!...i bought this ammo from a place offline called FAC of america about 5 years ago..(160rds in 30cal ammo cans for 26.00bucks a can!)i grabbed a few cans up and have not shot much of it...i was just wondering if or anyone still carries this type or imports it?...im sure the prices will be nowhere near close to what it was 5years ago but would love to buy a little more to make up some matched ammo out of it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The Malaysian ammo is excellent. If I remember right, the plant was setup and all training conducted by Winchester.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i just took one of my 7.62x51 rifles out for a drive a little while ago...when i got done shooting @ some paper..i started picking up my brass & was about to chunk them into the trash and noticed that these casings where boxer primed...SWEET!...i know that they are plenty of mil spec. brass and ammo on the market and most mil brass is stronger but a lil less space inside..anyways,this ammo seems very clean and accurate to boot!...i bought this ammo from a place offline called FAC of america about 5 years ago..(160rds in 30cal ammo cans for 26.00bucks a can!)i grabbed a few cans up and have not shot much of it...i was just wondering if or anyone still carries this type or imports it?...im sure the prices will be nowhere near close to what it was 5years ago but would love to buy a little more to make up some matched ammo out of it
Be careful you don't break your decapping pin when attempting to resize those cases...more than likely the primers have been crimped.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #4

sorry the pics are so blurry...camera sux...anyways when you say my break my decapping die RL...which crimps would more then likely break the decapper?...the ammo marked mal7.62 & date of course have like a 3 noctches steaked at the primer...when i decap these will i have to ream out the primer pockets some for the new primer to fit without any problems? i also have some ammo marked ofv M80...what kind of ammo is this?...it doesnt have the same kind of 3 notched crimp looking thing on them??

belt-ammo.jpg  

Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #5

OFV is Indian. Ordnance Factory Veranganor (Don't hold me to the spelling). The Indian stuff from the 70's is fine, but after that I would not shoot. The Brits were still overseeing the ammo plants in the 70's, but after the Indians took over QA became shoddy.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #6

thanks M14s.. most of its marked 78'...so it might be alright?it shoots good...it does have a little diffrent smell to it then the malaysian stuff

Old 07-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #7

OFV 78 should be good to go. I have shot plenty of 74, 75 and would buy more if it was avail. It always shot about the same as the British RG (Radway Green) out of my M14's. Same POI and same group size.

The RG is some of the best 7.62x51 surp avail.

The Indian stuff is very dirty, and leaves a bit of a "terry" residue, but some judicious use of Kroil will take care of it.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

M72 - Generally ALL military surplus ammo have crimped primers. M80 ball ammo is definately milsurp and is definately crimped. Reaming is not the problem - you may have to ream, and you might not. You'll know when you seat the first primer. But first you have to deprime. This is where you may have problems. If you notice an excessive amount of force is needed to deprime, stop. I broke two decapping pins trying to deprime PPV .223 fired cases that I bought cheap - $5/100. On some of them the primers came out, it was the one that that wouldn't that broke the pin. I even ordered two special hardened steel manual decapping pins which are used with a hammer, and not the press. I broke both of those also. Being a .223 caliber, the replacement pin was on backorder for 2 months - that was 2 months that I couldn't reload! 308 (7.62 x 51) dies are just as difficult to get these days - I wouldn't take the chance on reloading those cases.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-18-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #9

good stuff man...thanks for the headsup & tips...