7.62 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 7.62

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

I'm reloading for my Mosin Nagant I am using .311 sierra bullets(I slugged the barrel and noted a .312) So I'm fairly certain it will be a little more accurate than the mil-surplus .308's, I'm still working up the powder load, But hopefully I should be good to go in the next few days.
I have the dies and everything needed for reloading for my AK accept for the brass.
One nice thing about reloading for the Mosin is the need to thoroughly clean the rifle due to the Berdan primers, It gets a bit old to clean a rifle longer than you shoot it.

EDIT...
Just a note I forgot, I have brass for my Mosin from Winchester and PPU that I am reloading, Just so you don't think I'm reloading the mil-surplus steel.

Last edited by VitSports6; 03-11-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I'm reloading for my Mosin Nagant I am using .311 sierra bullets(I slugged the barrel and noted a .312) So I'm fairly certain it will be a little more accurate than the mil-surplus .308's, I'm still working up the powder load, But hopefully I should be good to go in the next few days.
I have the dies and everything needed for reloading for my AK accept for the brass.
One nice thing about reloading for the Mosin is the need to thoroughly clean the rifle due to the Berdan primers, It gets a bit old to clean a rifle longer than you shoot it.

EDIT...
Just a note I forgot, I have brass for my Mosin from Winchester and PPU that I am reloading, Just so you don't think I'm reloading the mil-surplus steel.
Cool, I'll make sure to take a note of everything when it is said and done.

Yeah, I have been told that reloading steel is the ultimate no-no.
Why is it so bad anyways?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post

Steel doesn't reform like brass, I'm sure there could be other reasons, I'm fairly new at reloading.

Here is a post I had on 7.62x54r.net

Slugged the barrel.

Down the way there is a guy that posts up what he measured the Sierra bullets.
Good luck

Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #14

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post

Steel is really really hard on your dies. I use to reload 45 auto in steel cases. I a kept bending my decapper. It finally broke. I replaced it and stopped reloading steel.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #15

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post

EDIT...
Surplus ammo, depending on the country of origin is from .3105 to .312 for com-blok ammo. Finnish 7.62x53r is normally .308.
The Berdan primers are not the issue, the primer compound itself is. You can buy new berdan primed steel that is not corrosive, but again you can't reload it. All it takes to deal w/ corrosive ammo is some boiling water down the bore and the boltface, and the gas tube and piston on an AK. Then clean as you normally would.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #16

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
As cheap as Eastern Bloc surplus ammo is for the 7.62 x 54R, and as cheap as Wolf ammo for the AK is, why even comtemplate re-loading? I reload for over 20 different rifle and pistol calibers, but I have never even thought of doing so for my AK or my Mosin-Nagant.
Well, I use milsurp for plinking, but my reloads for accuracy. Remember you can tailor make ammo specifically for just your rifle if you reload.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #17

Sierra .311 174gr HPBT was my favorite bullet to use in my Russian Mosin Nagants, just a little expensive. My bores slugged from around .311 to .315. Then recently I came across some Hornady 174gr .312 HPBT from Graf and Sons. They shoot even better than the Sierra's in my larger bores and much cheaper.

Clyde
http://www.crsurplusspring.com

Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Antique? No. A firearm is legally an antique if it (that particular gun, not just that model) was made prior to 1899. Muzzleloaders are considered antiques even if made this morning (except for the ones that do a presto-changeo to modern ammo) It is a "Curio & Relic" firearm, but not antique. Governed by Federal law.

The rate of twist of rifling is set to stablize bullets of a given weight. Most AK bullets are about 123-125 gr. Most M-N bullets are MUCH heavier. What will stabilize one does not stabilize the other.

Avoid cast bullets in gas operated autos. You will need gas checks on the M-N. Lee also makes decent molds. You will also need to size and lube the bullets after casting. Separate step in the manufacturing process. Also need harder lead (different alloy) than the pure lead used for muzzleloaders.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #19

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I reload for all my rifles and pistols including both my Chinese and Yugo SKS and Mosin M44. I use the same bullet shot as cast in both calibers a Lee 160 gr. gas check tumble lube RNFP of water quenched wheel weights that drop a .312.5. My powder of choice is Alliant 2400 it's neither capacity or position sensitive in rifle cartridges form 7.62 x 39 up to 30-06 and even slightly larger.

I use a light load of 12.5 grs of 2400 in my SKS rifle for plinking and it cycles and dumps the brass right at my feet,if you want to go faster and duplicate the feel and throw your cases into the next county like commercial X39 ammo you can use a MAX load of 15.0 gr. I've put over a hundred rds, of cast loads through my SKS rifle with no lead buildup in the gas system.

In my M44 in 54r I use 16.0 grs. even of 2400 which is the standard load for military type rifle. 16 grains of #2400 is the "universal" prescription. It gives around 1500 f.p.s. with a 150-180 grain cast bullet in almost any military caliber. You can also use Red Dot 13.0 grs. even is know as the LOAD,as a substitute if you don't have 2400 with 30-40 Krag, .303 British, 7.65 Argentine, .308 Win., 7.62x54R Russian, .30-06, 8x57 and .45-70. The Load

Last edited by res45; 03-17-2010 at 02:29 AM.