6-284 anyone?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 6-284 anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 6-284 anyone?

I recently finished a custom rifle for myself in 6-284 and I was wondering if anyone out there plays with loading for these? I use heavy bullets in the 95-100 gr. range mostly for deer with the occasional groundhog.

Last edited by Bohica6-284; 12-10-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: wrong caliber

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica6-284 View Post
I recently finished a custom rifle for myself in 6-284 and I was wondering if anyone out there plays with loading for these? I use heavy bullets in the 95-100 gr. range mostly for deer with the occasional groundhog.
I have 2...one a 98 mauser and a vls remmington. I use for elk deer well about every thing in arizona. also use 95-100 gr... been shooting them for years the 98 just had a shillen ultra match put on it,,, 27 inch

Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #3

Nice! what kind of results do you get on elk? I feel it's light for such big game, but shot placement is everything so I'm sure it can do it. What are some of the loads your rifles seem to like? Mine is built on a pre-Garcia SAKO action and has a Lothar-Walther stainless barrel. It won't chamber Winchester brass but it seems to like Norma brass. I'm currently loading the Speer Grand Slam 100gr. on top of 49gr of H4831. It doesn't seem to like this load very much though and it did much better with the Nosler Ballistic Tip, but I hate those bullets for hunting.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Nice! what kind of results do you get on elk? I feel it's light for such big game, but shot placement is everything so I'm sure it can do it. What are some of the loads your rifles seem to like? Mine is built on a pre-Garcia SAKO action and has a Lothar-Walther stainless barrel. It won't chamber Winchester brass but it seems to like Norma brass. I'm currently loading the Speer Grand Slam 100gr. on top of 49gr of H4831. It doesn't seem to like this load very much though and it did much better with the Nosler Ballistic Tip, but I hate those bullets for hunting.
set the grip screw (behind trigger gaurd) tight. play with the tightness of the forward one. do not loosen more than a 1/4 turn. you will find your groups open and close. bench rest shooters use a torqe wrench to find the honey spot in their guns.
As far as elk? Most of the time a barnes or seirra (hunting grade) 200-300 yds. barns through and through,,,seirra other side of rib cage. not a problem

Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Do you have any favorite loads that you use?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Do you have any favorite loads that you use?
you have to be careful on the lighter bullets. like a 17 remington they will vaporize if you shoot them to fast. my advice is to search a varmiters web site or forum? or wild cat reloading site's. find the personality of your rifle. and load what it like's.. that is why I have two.. one for heavey bullets and the bull barrel for lite ones. the rifle twist plays a big part in what works and what dont.